BD screw on needles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura22

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
OK- I'll try and explain this as best I can but I am rather ticked off!

I went to order some more medicines on Friday and I put in a request for some BD Micro-Fine+ 5mm screw on needles for my pens

Checked the prescription today and low and behold they haven't put them on!!

I rang the surgery a few minutes ago to find out why they're not on there and the lady said she couldn't see them on the screen so I have had to make an appointment for this afternoon. But! I am going to the hospital at 4pm for my 6 month appointment and have to be at the doctors for 5:30!! Not going to happen I don't think!!

There's nothing free this afternoon and as I only have a few needles left I have no other choice.

Grrrrr! Do BD still MAKE these needles?? Rather annoyed

Oh! And I've had to order the strips and needles for the MyLife meter. Luckily Boots have ordered me two lots so they're always going to keep one aside for when I next order. Silly thing is I only get 50 strips at a time and 100 needles so I'll be going in there on a weekly basis! I test way more than 50 times a week!!

*Sigh..... and breathe*

yes they do still make those needles, i use them.

Also, you need to talk to your doc and get him to prescribe more strips and needles. I get 200 strips per month atm, and always run out.

yes they do still make those needles, i use them.

Also, you need to talk to your doc and get him to prescribe more strips and needles. I get 200 strips per month atm, and always run out.

Hi Sam,

I will do! I don't want to be rushing around like a headless chicken every week! I've become very overprotective over my BG testing and I don't want to fall behind with it.

Glad they're still being made! I was worried I'd have to use the massive ones!

if you're going to the hospital this afternoon, ask there if you can have the needles you need, or enough to tide you over until you can see the doctor for the prescription.

I get 150 strips per go, But sometimes end up using my moms strips as she has the same machine.

As caroline said, cant the hospital give you needles? my hospital gave me strips before, when during an appointment i realised i only had 2 strips left and wasnt going to be near home until the evening. :D

I'll definately ask! Had enough of rushing around lol

Well I got some! THe doctor couldn't find them on the system so had to hand write the prescription! All I've done today or order and collect medicines!!

Glad you managed to get them. I get 200 strips at a time. If you have any problem gettign your GP to let you have more then get you DSN to write as you are a type on on basal bolus you need to be testing often so need more strips than 50.

I get 200 needles and have just persuaded my GP to up my prescription from 200 to 300 strips a time, otherwise I run out of strips before needles. As long as you can give a good reason for the request I don't see why they should turn you down. My other meds are for 2 months worth, so now everything more or less coincides an I have much fewer trips 🙂

I have handed in another request for more MyLife Pura test strips. Imagine only giving 50 at a time! And only 3 issues! What happens after my 3 issues is up? Do they just carry on?

I have handed in another request for more MyLife Pura test strips. Imagine only giving 50 at a time! And only 3 issues! What happens after my 3 issues is up? Do they just carry on?

as in, they'll only let you do it on repeat prescription 3 times? you usually have to see your doctor after that and get them redo the repeat.

Hi Laura,

I used to use these needles and have lots in stock (incase of a pump malfunction) but they are great needles. Cute too, dare I suggest it, in purple!

My pharmacist didnt have them on his computer database, but with the code he didnt have a problem from there on in.

Lou x

I think so. Under the name of the strips it says:

ISSUES REMAINING: 3

I think so. Under the name of the strips it says:

ISSUES REMAINING: 3

Sounds odd to me, you'd think they'd want to avoid having to see people over things that are highly unlikely to change - unless they know something the rest of us don't! 😱

As I said earlier, stuff might get removed from my repeat if I don't request them for a year or so, but that's it.

I'd say that meant that you had another three rpeats on your prescription before your doctor has to review it and write a new one. Unfortunately, electronic prescribing systems arn't written with diabetics (or in some cases, human beings) in mind. They tend to expect a doctor to write up drugs on prescriptions where you're giving a fixed dose (hense an easily disernable quanitity or volume of drugs) for 1 month. It'd be much the same if you were prescribed a cream for a skin condition. It's designed to stop poor badly informed and confused paitents from taking the same drug for years and years and it not doing them any good. Obviously you know about your condition and treatment and are perfectly capable of self management, but the doc's PC doesn't know that.
I don't know about community, but in hospital it's generally a rule to only give one month's worth of anything on a prescription. There are cases where we see prescriptions written for up to six months, but they tend to be rare cases, kids being treated for TB or people with very stable HIV. The hospital would probably give you some strips, needles or lancets if you ask nicely, i got a good six months worth of lancets from the nurse last time and i didn't even have to beg...nbow if only i could bribe them to send me test strips..

yup, i've been given 2 x 50 strips on prescription 12 times before i have to go and have it reviewed. she said 'that should last you six months' and i said 'well we'll see'. her face when i said i test up to 10 x a day was actually like this: 😱 i said to her 'well that's how i manage my condition'. she replied with 'oh you self manage?' ummmm...yes.

Shiv- I can relate to that

I went to see the doctor yesterday for my needles and she asked me how I was getting on. When I told her that I'd tested 12 times the day before, her face sort of dropped! lol

I have gone over my number of repeats before I just put it in as usual and there was no problem. Seems like whoever does the prescriptions at my surgery realises that I haven't suddenly stopped needing insulin.

I'd hate to have to use the 12mm ones! They're huge!

Thank you Margie 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back