BBC - Diabetes care falls short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that MargB, very interesting reading. As regards urine test have you never been asked to provide a sample when going for your HbA1c? I (wrongly) presumed it was automatic that every D would get the "full service" when getting their Annual Review... Another instance of the post code lottery. Makes me mad 😡

Nope, sample never been mentioned which is annoying as I have a brother on kidney dialysis and my kidneys were checked out just after he started on the dialysis. That was about 7 or 8 years ago and now things have changed for me ...

Marg have a chat with your doctor or whoever you get your diabetic care from. As is being discussed in another thread at the moment it is important to get the tests done to make sure all our inside bits are working properly. As there are already kidney problems in your family, all the more reason to get it checked regularly too! Good luck, and thanks for interesting article.

I guess I'm lucky as I seem to get the full range every time I have tests done.

If I remember the form correctly, FBC (full blood count) and U+E (urea and electrolytes to check kidney function) are always ticked. Plus the usual HbA1c of course and annually PSA (prostate specific antigen to check for early signs of prostate cancer). My urine seems to be dipsticked by the Doc annually as well.

yep i get the lot every 6 months....or 3 if im worried 🙂

Ok, where I work the care is bloody good. At your review just about everything is asked for. Urines bloods the works. I can't reel off the tests done as I can't remember but there are a fair few.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back