Bayer Exploring Sale Of $2.5 Billion Diabetes Device Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In order to focus on developing more lucrative pharmaceutical businesses, Bayer is considering the sale of its diabetes device unit. Optimistically valued at $2.5 billion, the potential sale signals a change in the company’s direction, driven by its relatively new CEO, Marijn Dekkers.

Bayer, headquartered in Leverkusen, Germany, appears to be considering a move that would allow the company to focus on core competencies in the drug development space. In addition to the diabetes unit, other peripheral business units, like the company’s plastics unit, could be placed on the stock market.

The potential deal is only one of many illustrating daring strategy changes that depart from the company’s previous plans, according to a recent Bloomberg article. As recently as January of last year, the previous CEO Joerg Reinhardt claimed that the company had no plans to sell the diabetes unit. Some observers believe that this move makes sense, although there could be challenges.

http://www.meddeviceonline.com/doc/bayer-exploring-sale-of-billion-diabetes-device-business-0001

I bet the Freestyle Libre has something to do with that. I like Bayer stuff 😎

Well I've certainly never contributed to their income diabetically, though I am aware they make pharmaceuticals, so I may have ingested one or two of their tablets sometime!

Well I've certainly never contributed to their income diabetically, though I am aware they make pharmaceuticals, so I may have ingested one or two of their tablets sometime!

They were the original inventors of aspirin, and were also involved in the Nazi concentration camps in human experimentation 😱 Interestingly, after WW1 they became part of Sterling Winthorp, the same company that made that horrific shiny toilet paper 'Izal'. My first job in computing was at the Sterling Izal factory in Chapeltown, Sheffield, where we hired space and time on their IBM System/38 computer! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back