Basal tests: do you repeat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radders

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I did Dafne many years ago, we were advised never to make changes to ratios based on one set of readings. However none of the advice I have been given has ever suggested the need to do the same with basal tests. The advice which is pinned on this board mentions repeating the test AFTER making an adjustment.
Do others find this strange? It seems to imply that basal patterns are less prone to fluctuations but I certainly don't find this to be the case. My Libre shows just how variable my overnight patterns are, which should in theory be affected by fewer variables than the daytime ones.

Must admit I'm surprised that you haven't been given the advice as thought it was common knowledge for pumpers as well as MDI to double check any results.

When I did pump training, I was advised not to decide to change something based on one wobble, unless it was an unexplained hypo in the night. I do basal rate fasting test, identify problems, make the changes and then retest (sometimes).

I also now make some changes if I see a repeated problem that has no other explanation in the Libre info. This has to rule out done exercise class, eaten out, done an unplanned walk, ... which does not leave many occasions when there is a 'normal' day.

I know for me the Libre has made spotting patterns a lot easier.

Must admit I'm surprised that you haven't been given the advice as thought it was common knowledge for pumpers as well as MDI to double check any results.
It's not in the pinned advice on this board, for example!

When I did pump training, I was advised not to decide to change something based on one wobble, unless it was an unexplained hypo in the night. I do basal rate fasting test, identify problems, make the changes and then retest (sometimes).
Do you run the fasting basal test twice to see if it was a blip though before changing anything?

It's not in the pinned advice on this board, for example!
Common sense does play a big part in things as well 😉😛🙂

Common sense does play a big part in things as well 😉😛🙂
Yes but I really don't think my consultant and DSN recognise that to do a full set of basal tests is a major commitment. If a tweak is required, each test needs running at least three times: twice to check that it's not just a blip (and then if the pattern doesn't repeat, best of three?) then another to test that any adjustment has worked!

Erm you do not need to do a full set in one day it can be done over a week. Just concentrate on the section causing problems first then move on to the next section.

Unfortunately pumping is a big commitment and a lot of hard work when things don't go well.
Your DSN and consultant do know what a commitment it is unfortunately it obviously hasn't been conveyed to you. Thus you are learning the hard way.

I know I should repeat the tests, but I don't always to be honest @Radders

Partly because it is often a test to confirm something rather than just as a piece of individual information.

For example, I will see my levels dipping overnight for one afternoon. Then it happens again. If I am able I might fasting test the third afternoon, and if that shows a drop with no meal dose active I'd take that as fairly conclusive.

Erm you do not need to do a full set in one day it can be done over a week. Just concentrate on the section causing problems first then move on to the next section.

Unfortunately pumping is a big commitment and a lot of hard work when things don't go well.
Your DSN and consultant do know what a commitment it is unfortunately it obviously hasn't been conveyed to you. Thus you are learning the hard way.
I agree Sue. I'm on my second pump and I don't think I've successfully completed a whole cycle of basal tests in all that time! Can't be doing too badly though so I tend to subsribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" regime! I was just asking because now that I have my Libre I can see that my levels overnight don't seem to have a consistent pattern. Sometimes they go up and sometimes down. I decided to do a proper overnight test with the meter and saw a slight fall but the night before it went up so I will probably leave my doses alone as all the results were in range.

I know I should repeat the tests, but I don't always to be honest @Radders

Partly because it is often a test to confirm something rather than just as a piece of individual information.

For example, I will see my levels dipping overnight for one afternoon. Then it happens again. If I am able I might fasting test the third afternoon, and if that shows a drop with no meal dose active I'd take that as fairly conclusive.
I see what you mean. My consultant likes to see the forms filled in though even though my Hba1c is in the low 40s!

Ah yes! Clinic basal tests. I'd forgotten about them. I've usually made any changes I feel necessary before I go. I do run those twice though if I've got an opportunity. Partly to demonstrate the very day-to-day variability that we find so frustrating 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back