Basal testing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthelliot

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Ok so I did first part of basal testing last night , results were as follows
11pm -6.4. 1am -6.9. 3am -7.2, 5am -4.7, 7.20am - 4.7

Is the drop from 7.2 to 4.7 too much, should I be aiming to get this even tighter and if so would I reduce basal slightly between say 2-3am or longer??

Hi Ruth,
They do say no more than 1.7 variation. But my view would be that's a fab set of results and if you try fixing it you might then mess something else up.
As your son is so young it gives room for a dip in blood sugar in the early hours as well without causing a hypo.
This is obviously just my own personal view though. 🙂

Pumping Insulin would suggest retesting at that level of drop. Although John Walsh states that the goal is to move not more than 1.7, the table where dose adjustments are suggested says retest unless +/- more than 2.2 (unless on very high levels of insulin).

Assuming your son's TDD is less than 20u the suggestion would be a really tiny total basal reduction (eg for 20u TDD and -3.3 drop the suggestion is only 0.1u total reduction at some point 2-5 hours before the low reading).

You might be better off leaving things alone as it looks really stable. Who knows - a different night might give you a different rise/fall pattern within the same overall scope and you'd end up chassing your tail...

Thanks guys I did wonder that - best night results we've ever had so was worried about messing with it. Trying to sort morning session tomorrow so will see how that goes. Thanks again. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back