Basal testing benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been meaning to do a basal test for ages I really have but there was always a reason not to, going hypo being one of the main ones. I finally managed, it took me 4 days in chunks but I got there.

My diabetes has been misbehaving so badly recently, really low hypos, spiking highs, wrestling with it to get it more stable, muttering at my pump too often for sending alarms to me. I've got this inbuilt thought that when things aren't stable I must need more insulin. I think it comes from days of yore when there was hardly any flexibility with one injection a day and I always seemed to be told to increase my insulin by 1 unit whatever the issue and see what happened.

The result of my basal testing is I need nearly 2 units less basal over 24 hours and my bolus is working so much better without correcting, over correcting and using temporary basal rates. It just feels so much better and less dramatic, I'd forgotten what a vital framework correct basal insulin is

If you're struggling with erratic readings and haven't done a basal test for a while I recommend trying to find the time & energy to do one.
I don't need more insulin, I need less insulin but at the right time....(for now!)

Thanks for the reminder @Flower. 🙂 I’m long overdue a basal test! Glad to hear you’re back on track. 🙂
It’s one of those things that you know you should do but there always seems to be a reason not to or something happens & you have to start again. I’ll see how long it lasts for …

It’s one of those things that you know you should do but there always seems to be a reason not to or something happens & you have to start again. I’ll see how long it lasts for …
I know! I write the words Do a Basal Test in my diary for weeks on end, in ever bigger letters and brighter colours. It’s hard to find time to do absolutely nothing for 10 hours. And then my OH starts frying some bacon... 😱

You’ve given me the push I need to do this again @Flower, I don’t know why I dislike doing it so much. A bit all over the place recently, then great for a day or so, with often no rhyme or reason, tweaks here and there sorting me out but I need get on and do this.

I did do a basal test, what feels like only a short time ago, but seems another is due…let’s see how long this lasts…all part of the fun and games :rofl::confused:

Good to read you’re back on track, long may it last 🙂

I know! I write the words Do a Basal Test in my diary for weeks on end, in ever bigger letters and brighter colours. It’s hard to find time to do absolutely nothing for 10 hours. And then my OH starts frying some bacon... 😱

Who can resist a bacon butty.

Had to do few tweaks to own basal rates last week as weather warmed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back