Basal tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Done my first basal test this morning...the breakfast one.
Took Basal....no bolus
On waking up.6.00am.....7.2
7.00am....8.2
8.00am...8.1
9.00am...8.0
10.00am...7.5
11.00am...7
Are those readings good, bad, only info I can find is about people on pumps not pens.
Will have to plan ahead for the other tests.......Thanks

Looks really good! Your basal/ long acting insulin is keeping you very flat. Only a 1.2 difference between your lowest and highest reading.

I’m not sure how correct this is but I’ve always been told to look at the difference between each reading, and then to image if the starting reading was two points higher or lower would that hourly change cause me a problem (eg to hypo)

Those morning readings look good so far. What happened overnight as that is also part of your basal test?

Going to do the overnight, lunch and dinner test when able, couldn't find much info about it via the internet as it seems to be about loop,pump systems or American youtube clips.Thanks again.

I highly approve of your splitting the 24 hours up into 'bite sized' chunks. When I was at work, so bedtimes and waking up times were more (perforce) regular, plus I only had to get up out of bed for the loo once overnight - I found the actual overnight tests really easy cos if we had our evening meal at 6pm-ish I could start testing before we even went to bed. Then as long as I remembered to put my meter on the bathroom windowsill I could test it again then, and do that same thing several nights in a row without losing very much sleep whatever, since the actual bedtimes and loo visits would be sufficiently varied.

Some advise setting alarms so as to wake up and test - but then I always had anxiety before the ruddy alarm thus preventing me falling asleep - and anxiety has always and still does, increases my blood sugar! So hence that makes utter rubbish of the test results, cos that wasn't what my BG was really doing when I was asleep, at all.

Are you still working so having to keep to a timetable or what, @Charl ?

Last edited:
Yes still working, will try to do the other tests when expecting to not be doing much.

@trophywench I think the night time testing is much easier now as everyone with Type 1 diabetes is entitled to a CGM so you don't have to bother with the alarm (or getting up in the night which I certainly don't need to do).
I know some people do not find their CGM that accurate but, for basal testing, you are looking at trends more than absolute values because the basal should be keeping levels pretty stable. As long as the CGM is consistently inaccurate the trend will be the same.

Yep, @helli. Lots of things are easier these days because of modern tech, so it isn't essential to know how to do summat without the tech - but still adds to one's knowledge and understanding if you don't already know!

Yes still working, will try to do the other tests when expecting to not be doing much.
It is worth testing your basal under ‘normal’ circumstances, as that is what your basal will be doing most of the time. Are you in a job where it would work to just miss lunch and scan/test through the day?
Are you using a Libre? (Apologies if you have already told us that and I have missed it) if so it is just a case of miss lunch and then look at output starting four hours after your breakfast. I know when I have tried to do these it still takes a few days as highs and lows interrupt the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back