BASAL INSULIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, could I have some help with basal insulin please? I was put on a basal/bolus regime quite quickly. I started at 6 Levemir in the evening and 6 in the morning. The Dietician and Nurse said just to raise it as required. I am up at 16 twice a day. My bolus is Novorapid. I am on 1:5 in the morning due to dawn phenomenon and then 1:10 for everything else. If I don't eat and therefore don't use bolus, my BS sits around 6.5 to 7. Does this sound ok to you? I am coming up at around 95% in target (3 - 10) but it still feels quite high to me but I don't want to increase the basal again. I don't have another Dietician appointment for another 6 weeks.
A friend who has a Type 1 son says I am not using the basal correctly. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi.

I am not sure what your friend means by not using your basal right but if you are getting average readings of 6.5 -7 and a TIR of 95% you are doing brilliant... Assuming that should be 3.9-10 rather than 3-10 as you have typed above.

It is a little unusual for people to need the same amount of Levemir day and night (personally I need much more in the morning than at night) but if that is working for you and you aren't getting hypos through the night then you are doing great.

Thank you so much for the quick feedback. LOL, I did mean 3.9, sorry. I am having lunch with her next week so it will be interesting to see what she has to say. As I am building confidence, I may experiment a bit more with the basal. Thanks again

Thank you so much for the quick feedback. LOL, I did mean 3.9, sorry. I am having lunch with her next week so it will be interesting to see what she has to say. As I am building confidence, I may experiment a bit more with the basal. Thanks again
I think the key is small adjustments (10%) in your basal, but yes if your TIR is 95% give yourself a pat on the back! My current basal is 16/18 on Levemir as I find I need more during the day (but also suffer from dawn phenomenon, hoping that a pump will help stabilise that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back