Basal going higher after covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone, so I am now covid negative. While 8 was positive my daytime basal of Levemir went down to 6 . Now I'm negative it's going back up. I'm now on a day time of 9. Night bizzarely is staying at 2. Daytime is still showing its rising. So tomorrow I'm going to be hitting 10. How far do I keep rasing and should I be giving each daily change 2 days to see if it's working. I barely come back into target and keep using bolus corrections but I'm always out by the equivalent of 1 unit of insulin wether my correction calculation is 1 unit or a half unit need.

Im getting so frustrated as the only time I can ever achieve my targets is for the odd days my basal starts lowering.

Ps my my keystones are fine. I tend to hang around 11 before I finally get back into the high 9s after starting the day on a 6 or 7. Not as bad as some but I feel I'm never getting anywhere.

Glad to hear you have got through Covid OK @gillrogers

I wouldn’t expect ketones to appear until my BG had been in the teens for a few days, though you were wise to be a little more cautious with Covid-19 as I believe covid was seen to cause ketones to run amok at lower BG levels in some T1s.

We were chatting in the virtual meetup today about the change in seasons, and the changes that has prompted in some of our insulin needs - so it may be that it not only your recovery from Covid that is upsetting your apple cart.

Have you tried a fasting basal check to see what your basal needs are at the moment? I wonder of that might shed some light on things for you?

https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Ohh yes of course I forgot about the season change as well. I do go up when it gets warmer. I have no chance of doing a fasting basal thing. 1. I get too hungry at the best of times and 2. my days are just too irratic but I think it is a bit of both spring and the virus then. I remember when I first started on the type 1 regime they put me on a basal of 12. Which came down rapidly when we went from autumn to winter. Then I remember last spring going awry with everything as I didn't have a clue on what I was doing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back