Basal advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumbrianlass

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have been doing some 24 hour carb free basal testing and just wanted some opinions (I know that you are not medical professionals and any changes I chose to make will be entirely at my own risk!!!) of what changes I should make. Bear in mind I am pretty insulin sensitive so I do things in small amounts and gradually move things up or down.

I think I feel pretty bamboozled at having so much data at once, but am most concerned about the dip in the morning and then the rise around midday. All comments most welcome.

My current basal rates are:
00.00 0.325
02.00 0.300
04.00 0.700
15.00 0.425
18.00 0.50
22.00 0.475

So here is my data:

18:00 5.4
19.00 5.2
20.00 5.8
21.00 6.2
22.00 6.5
23.00 7.1
00.00 7.5
01.00 7.7
02.00 7.7
03.00 7.5
04.00 7.6
05.00 7.7
06.00 8.2
07.00 6.9
08.00 5.4
09.00 5.6
10.00 4.9
11.00 4.8
12.00 6.2
13.00 7.4
14.00 8.4
15.00 7.2
16.00 6.2
17.00 7.3
18.00 8.0

When you say you did carb free, you did mean that you either ate nothing at all or just had some sugar free jelly didn't you?

Because if you have been eating other foods ie protien and fats then, the results wont be acurate :(

Please reassure me you did that in 6 (ish) hour chunks over a period of days and didn't do a whole 24 hours carb free?

Plus, I'd want to do the same time block twice to make sure I was seeing similar results - same as on MDI - one high or low BG you don't adjust your basal. Two probably. Three defintely LOL

Yes it is a PITA and yes, it takes too long - LOL

As Sue correctly said, what happens when the T1 body is starved of quickly-convertible-to-glucose foodstuffs (ie carbs) for any length of time - it starts to convert anything it can get its paws on - ie protein and fats - to glucose.

Same as if you stay awake half the night testing, you won't get the same results as you would if you went to bed normally, slept and set the alarm once (or twice with a good gap between) per night at different times each night.

None of those BGs look particularly horrific to me anyway, but what time was bedtime? and what number do you want to be at overnight? 6, or 7 - or what?

Yes I did it in a big chunk and it was very horrific and I certainly wouldn't suggest it for people to do. My consultant is big on this and this is a repeat on one I did a couple of weeks ago when I was having issues with my BG being sky high and there were much more defined peaks and troughs than this time. Glad to say after some tweaking I seem to have overcome that!!

Re the protein - I had small bits - couple of small thin slices bacon and an egg in the evening and again about 11 ish the next morning - then nothing else til a tin of tuna fish at about 3pm.

I have been told if I keep the protein to no more than the size of a pack of cards it wont affect levels - but I am hearing differently from you Sue / Trophywrench?

I went to bed at 1am; and set my alarm to wake me hourly.

I have to say I am still feeling the effects as I feel totally shattered from doing it!

Hi Cumbrianlass,
If you look at the top of the pumping forum there's a sticky for basal testing.
That's the gold standard one you need to use 🙂
Eggs and bacon would for me need to bolused for.
As I understand it the only thing that can be consumed is SF jelly.

Looking at your results you have a rise in blood sugars about 4 hours after eating the protein so would suspect that's the cause of the problem 🙂

Last edited:
Hi Cumbrianlass,
I too think these numbers look good. I also think it helps to see the graphs. See plot of BG's and Basal corresponding to your data.

As far as comments go, I like to consider basal changes requiring 2 hr lag time before you start seeing effects - this is both directions, whether up-or-down on basal. With this in mind, you can see the basal reduction at 2am lends itself to slight BG rise peaking at 6 am. At 6 am, the basal increase (from 4am to 0.7) is starting to kick-in. It's fairly strong too as indicated by the BG data and by the % change in basal, where 0.3 u/h to 0.7 u/h represents 133% increase. Even if you consider % change from the average basal of 0.45 u/h, you're looking at 55% increase. Whenever you're considering adjustments (if you're not already) try to keep in mind % changes - adds that extra perspective when making decisions.

FWIW I - We have similar profiles - I run a basal of 0.45/0.625/0.45.

FWIW II - For days where numbers are good, 5.5 let's say, but you feel "off or washed-out", this is one tip-off to High-Basal. I've had situations where it only takes an 8% reduction in basal (in form of TBR) to make me feel better and have BG's bump up slightly (eg 6.9). Two hour lag applies here too.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Attachments

• bg-basal_28Apr2012.jpg
    bg-basal_28Apr2012.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back