Basal adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viki

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Probably a rookie question!!

Am I right in thinking that if im making basal adjustments to counteract slightly higher levels, at the same time each day, the increment change should take place 2 hours before?

Ive lost the plot a bit recently and made too many little changes so im going back to basics 🙂 just need a little reassurance.

xx:confused:

Hi Viki,

Yes your absolutely right! Although this can vary from person to person. Sometimes the effect only needs to be done 1.5 hours before it is needed etc.
But i think as a general rule of thumb - 2 hours before the change is needed is the time to change it.

e.g. Alex was going high at approx 10.30 every day (breakfast spike) - but we also noticed that the rise was actually starting before breakfast - a slow gradual increase from approx 8.30am which was adding to the breakfast spike. So we have added a new basal from 6.30. We have only done this today - so dont know what the pattern is yet - but looking at his sensor it does seem to have had an effect so far - he was 8.8 at 10.30 instead of the 11 or 12 he has been having. However, he was also a lot lower by lunchtime (4 - i would prefer him to be about 5 or 6) - so may need to look at ratios etc...Keeps us on or toes eh!

If you put your basals on here i am sure Adrienne and co will be able to take a look and advise if your finding it hard.🙂Bev

Yes, although we've found that an hour can make a difference...

Good luck! Like Bev says, post it all if you like and we'll have a rummage around...nothing like a good rummage...

Hi Viki

Yes you are right. This is a rule of thumb though of course. In the morning, like Bev has said, it could be a lot more than 2 hours if it is the breakfast spike you are trying to get rid of but most other times of the day is is around 2 hours sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.

I have to back to basics sometimes. It really helps as things get so complicated and you just have to start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back