bariatric surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
is there anyone on here whos had this or experience of it. my consultant has mentioned it twice now and i will be honest the thought has been foalting around in my head for a while now thanks gail

Not a personal experience but a colleague of mine had this surgery a couple of years ago and shed several stones. She reported she no longer had diabetes :confused: and was pleased with her massive weight loss but a downside is that she needs an apronectomy and is having to tuck her loose skin into support underwear and has work a little harder to keep it clean and dry under the fold. She is uncomfortable too with the loose skin on her arms. I think that can be a result for some people of losing weight very quickly. So pro's and cons from her experience. You are right to do some research to gain a realistic perspective on it. 🙂

No personal experience here either, but I have a friend who paid to have surgery 10 years ago because it wasn't easily available then. She maintains its the best thing she ever did. She was prediabetic, and having joint problems both of which were resolved. It was hard work for her though because she was a bit of an emotional eater. She had lots of support from a counsellor too, and she said she wouldn't have done it without that support. Think carefully about it Gail, and make sure you know what support is available before and after the operation 🙂

No personal experience here either, but I have a friend who paid to have surgery 10 years ago because it wasn't easily available then. She maintains its the best thing she ever did. She was prediabetic, and having joint problems both of which were resolved. It was hard work for her though because she was a bit of an emotional eater. She had lots of support from a counsellor too, and she said she wouldn't have done it without that support. Think carefully about it Gail, and make sure you know what support is available before and after the operation 🙂

Beat me to it! I had binge-eating disorder for ten years - I ate my emotions instead of feeling them, basically. So what Kcat says is really important, Gail. The emotional eating doesn't disappear with the weight. It has to be dealt with too, and that means support. I found learning to feel suppressed emotions again was a painful experience at times. I can still remember the first time I felt anger without bingeing (20 years ago now) - very upsetting!

So don't rush into anything, just cos your doc keeps mentioning it.
Good luck deciding, Gail. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back