Barefoot shoes

JohnBont

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello
Has anyone bought/tried a pair of barefoot shoes or boots please?
I’m a type 1 diabetic and am considering buying a pair after reading the so called benefits.
If anyone has would you kindly comment on how they were for you and any recommendations or otherwise would be appreciated.
Many thanks
John

What on earth are barefoot shoes apart from an oxymoron?

A friend, not T1, swears by them for running. Like running in bare feet but without the painful stones etc.

What on earth are barefoot shoes apart from an oxymoron?
They are also known as minimalist shoes.

Research indicates that barefoot shoes help align the toes properly, engage foot muscles, and expand the arch – all important factors for healthy feet.

They also reduce pressure on bunions and hammertoes. Wider toe boxes may relieve pain from these conditions.

Last two sentences are from some advertisement, not mine hence my question

I bought something described as Kenyan running shoes, ie like running barefoot like the Kenyans! I don't know if these are the same....I'm going back to around 2010 here. Anyway, I found them a really weird fit and sent them back. I hope the newer ones are a bit better.

Aaah, right. Never needed any such thing in the past - but could certainly do with exactly that (in those last sentences) right now!

I bought something described as Kenyan running shoes, ie like running barefoot like the Kenyans! I don't know if these are the same....I'm going back to around 2010 here. Anyway, I found them a really weird fit and sent them back. I hope the newer ones are a bit better.
Sounds like they’re the same type of thing Vonny, thanks for your input.
A friend, not T1, swears by them for running. Like running in bare feet but without the painful stones etc.
Thanks SB2015 I’m tempted.

Read a snippet this morning that warns they take some getting used to since having such thin soles, you can feel 'every crack in the pavement'.

Read a snippet this morning that warns they take some getting used to since having such thin soles, you can feel 'every crack in the pavement'.
However, if you have feetal neuropathy, you don't necessarily feel stones or small pieces of grit between your foot's sole and the sole of the shoe...

They'd be dangerous around here. I often find glass and bits of metal in the soles of my sandals after a walk outside. I never wear soft soled/thin soled footwear after finding a 1inch nail in the heel of my winter boots.

Has anyone bought/tried a pair of barefoot shoes or boots please?
Yes, I wore them for a couple of years a while ago. I'm more likely to wear trainers now (very cheap ones without much (if any) cushioning) which aren't that different in feel. Don't be surprised if you find your feet ache for a while until the muscles strengthen; it's probably best to wear them a little at a time to begin with.

I'm not that persuaded by the claimed benefits. I did find it interesting at the beginning to be able to feel a little more of the textures of what I was walking on and that probably increased the amount of walking I did and the fact that my feet ached and gradually stopped aching presumably indicates that some smaller muscles were becoming stronger which is probably a positive.

Yes, I wore them for a couple of years a while ago. I'm more likely to wear trainers now (very cheap ones without much (if any) cushioning) which aren't that different in feel. Don't be surprised if you find your feet ache for a while until the muscles strengthen; it's probably best to wear them a little at a time to begin with.

I'm not that persuaded by the claimed benefits. I did find it interesting at the beginning to be able to feel a little more of the textures of what I was walking on and that probably increased the amount of walking I did and the fact that my feet ached and gradually stopped aching presumably indicates that some smaller muscles were becoming stronger which is probably a positive.
Thanks Bruce. One of the main reasons I’m considering them is the wide toe box. I’m being constantly told by various medical professionals that my shoes are too narrow in the toe department!!

Thanks Bruce. One of the main reasons I’m considering them is the wide toe box. I’m being constantly told by various medical professionals that my shoes are too narrow in the toe department!!
Sketchers, Pavers, Hotter are all quite wide at the toe.

If you have a podiatrist nearby it might be worth having a chat about the suitability or otherwise of that type of footwear for you personally, and people with diabetes generally. You can often book an initial appointment with a private podiatrist very affordably.

Us PWD do have to be extra careful with our tootsies, even if we still have strong pulses, and good sensitivity etc

Stunahome.com have orthopaedic and diabetic shoes for both men and women. On line only I think but returnable if not suitable.

Back