Ban TV junk food ads until 21:00, say campaigners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Children are being exposed to TV adverts promoting unhealthy food which should be banned during primetime family viewing, says a campaign group.

Action on Junk Food Marketing analysed 750 adverts shown during the X Factor on ITV and the Simpsons and Hollyoaks on Channel 4 over 20 hours.

It found one in 10 promoted fast food restaurants, confectionery or supermarket 'junk food'.

But the government said advertising was not to blame for childhood obesity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26665952

What's the age on this, cause I doubt any kids over 14 will be in bed before 9 these days most are still roaming the streets that time, it won't work anyways unless you catch the kids early at about 3

So its OK for adults to view junk food advertising. Hang on I think thats the Dominos Pizza man with my 5 a day special at the door.:D

Probs think the damage is already done vic lol

Surely a better aim would be to educate the parents on how to cook balanced meals for their families, children can only eat what they are given and by the time they are old enough to fend for themselves the bad habits are already ingrained.

If the parents don't buy the junk then the children can't eat it. Problem solved.

Surely a better aim would be to educate the parents on how to cook balanced meals for their families, children can only eat what they are given and by the time they are old enough to fend for themselves the bad habits are already ingrained.

Get Jamie Oliver back on the case! 🙂

Times have changed.

When I was a kid, (collective groan from my audience,):D crisps and sweets were a once weekly treat and everything else was home cooked.
You cannot resolve this issue, junk foods and treats are everywhere we look regardless of adverts. There are large aisles in the supermarkets devoted to one product with 101 varieties crisps and sugar laden cereals as examples. The only way would be to ban the lot but that is not going to happen any time soon.
Bring back home economics to the school curriculum for both sexes, involve the kids in helping to prepare meals at home and lead by example.

Not so long ago I watched a documentary (can't remember what it was) and it showed a family with 2 or 3 young children who were fed on junk food takeaways EVERY SINGLE DAY. Maccy D's, KFC, pizza, you name it. The mum said she did it because she didn't know how to cook (although she didn't seem to have much inclination to learn either) and at least she knew her kids would eat the food because they like it.

The dad was a little more concerned about his children's health and tried to take over the cooking, he was making some quite healthy meals from scratch, the children didn't seem to mind and ate it up but the mum threw a wobbly and said what was the point of spending all the time making "disgusting" food like that when there was nothing wrong with the food she was giving them, all her children were perfectly healthy and she couldn't see what all the fuss was about. 😱😱😱

I know this is an extreme case but I find it frightening that there is anybody out there who can believe that. What chance have those poor children got, they might be ok now but what about in 20 or 30 years time? When they grow up they will just carry on eating the same sort of food because they won't know any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back