Balance, Sept/Oct 2010 issue - review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just got my new copy of Balance (Diabetes UK's magazine for supporting members http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Membership/ ). I have to say that there has been a big improvement in recent issues since the dark days of the 'disgusted nurse' and frightening us all to death with the seeming inevitibility of horrendous complications! There seems to be a more positive approach overall, plus relevant informational articles covering a wide range of topics.

This issue isn't 'themed' like some in the past have been (back to basics, pregnancy etc.). Instead there is a good mixture of encouraging articles that illustrate how diabetes should not be a barrier to doing the kind of things non-Ds get up to - specifically, climbing Everest and being an International Ambassador (how many carbs in a Ferrero Rocher, Mr Ambassador? 😉). It's good to see the positive side of things, especially when the dark mists of depression and frustration descend and you might be feeling limited by the grind and uncertainty of it all.

There are some timely articles (for me, at least!) about retinopathy screening, the Glycaemic Index, aspirin and plans for creating an education and care package for use by teenagers. There's a nice article by our member Patricia on how her daughter came to terms with her brother's diagnosis, plus the usual letters, advice page and Arthur Smith's column - this issue talking about how to use diabetes to get out of the doghouse!

Member Lee Nevitt features in an article about User Involvement - getting your views accross in the NHS, and for X-factor fans (sort of!) there's an interview with Alexandra Burke's mum, Melissa, who has Type 2 with complications.

There's also the little 'Chat Room' penpal section...and they've included a mention of the forum here! At last! I hope this points a few more people in our direction!

Verdict? Not a bad little read, I'm happy to say! 🙂

I am not a supporting member and only registered (online) recently, how do I go about getting a magazine????????

If you follow the link http://www.diabetes.org.uk/How_we_help/Membership/ it will tell you how to become a supporting member. They used to ask for a fixed fee (?24), but now you can decide how much you want to pay, and can pay monthly (e.g ?2 a month)

Thanks, so a donation is required...............

I ask this as my younger brother recieves it and he does not make a contribution or even take good care of his diabetes........

Thanks, so a donation is required...............

I ask this as my younger brother recieves it and he does not make a contribution or even take good care of his diabetes........

Actually, I think you can still be a supporting member without a donation. They opened it up a year or so ago in the hope that some people would pay more but accepting that some wouldn't be able to afford anything. The website should explain more 🙂

Actually, I think you can still be a supporting member without a donation. They opened it up a year or so ago in the hope that some people would pay more but accepting that some wouldn't be able to afford anything. The website should explain more 🙂

Thanks man, going to make a wee monthly donation, the quicker we get a cure the better..............😉

Yeah, my copy arrived yesterday - the letter from the lady complaining about the pregnancy special issue made me laugh, she lives in the same place as me. I was wondering about emailing them to say that not everyone here thought it was a rubbish issue... :D

A lot of the info in it seems to conincide with what C4 showed on The Hospital the other night, strange!

And I really liked Patricia's piece on her daughter, very interesting. My sister once stuck one of my syringes in to her leg to "see what it felt like" - fortunately, not with insulin in! She was about 8 at the time. I never really thought about whether it had any impact on her at the time (or since, really!). Perhaps I should ask her.

I've been a member of DUK since I began this journey 30+ years ago. Always look forward to my copy of Balance and find it a very good read, full of interesting articles and advice. As you would expect, it is inevitable that there will be articles that may not be relevant to members, but to suggest as the lady did this month, not to include a section on pregnancy, is damn right stupid and a selfish thing to say! Toby.

I've been a member of DUK since I began this journey 30+ years ago. Always look forward to my copy of Balance and find it a very good read, full of interesting articles and advice. As you would expect, it is inevitable that there will be articles that may not be relevant to members, but to suggest as the lady did this month, not to include a section on pregnancy, is damn right stupid and a selfish thing to say! Toby.

Personally, I take an interest in how all aspects of life can be affected by diabetes. It's highly unlikely that I will ever become pregnant, but that doesn't stop me finding the articles (and the section here) interesting. For me, it's how people cope with everyday and extraordinary things whilst managing their diabetes 🙂

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I found the pregnancy issue rather irrelevant to me, since I have no interest in having children. However they've got to cover topics that will interest a wide range of people, so it didn't bother me too much! Like you, Northe, it's interesting to see how diabetes affects all sorts of things!

Well, if Northerner ever gets pregnant, it won't just be front page news on Balance!

Mine arrived today, not read it yet but I'll flick read soon.

I'd just like to say it's nice to hear positives on the magazine from here, as normally there is a bit of slating going on! Okay not always I may be generalising, but there has been!

Cheers

Rossi 🙂

Mine arrived today, not read it yet but I'll flick read soon.

I'd just like to say it's nice to hear positives on the magazine from here, as normally there is a bit of slating going on! Okay not always I may be generalising, but there has been!

Cheers

Rossi 🙂

I think it's because their editorial policy appears to have changed for the better! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back