Balance - an announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFreeman

Hi there,

Hope you're all well. Just wanted to let you know about a news story on our site I've just published about Balance.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News_Landing_Page/Balance---an-announcement/

We've had to reduce the frequency of the magazine, so the next issue will be delayed by one month, and will now be available at the end of January 2011.

I'm collating any feedback we get about this, so it'd be great to use this thread for comment if that's ok?

Many thanks

Joe

Joe Freeman
Digital Communities Manager
Diabetes UK

I would be quite happy with a bi-monthly magazine. This would be especially good if the content were improved as I often do not read the whole magazine. After receiving it for decades I have no interest in reading about some minor celeb who has developed diabetes. Sorry but that is how I feel!

It wont help all those who don't have access to a computer, and to be honest, I hardly ever go to the DUK website for advice or information. I get most help and advice from here.

Joe, you say the next issue is being delayed by a month, and available end Jan. Is that the issue for Nov/Dec, because I haven't received that one yet?

Brian

Does the 1 month delay in publishing next issue mean that it will now be once every 3 months, instead of once every 2 months?

Personally, I reckon DUK has a near impossible task of producing a single magazine that appeals to adults with type 1 diabetes / type 2 / gestational diabetes / LADA / MODY etc, males / females, ages from children to 90s, parents of children with type 1 diabetes, interested in sport / pregnancy etc or completely disinterested in such topics etc.

Interesting to know Caroline. Some comments on Facebook already about using the website too much as not everyone has access.

Dorsetlad - there's the Nov/Dec issue mailing this week (Thursday or Friday I believe) and then instead of getting the next issue in December like you usually would, it'll arrive at the end of January.

Copepod - the schedule for next year is still being worked on, so not 100% sure of timings for 2011 unfortunately. Agree it can be very hard to make one magazine appeal to such a wide range of people 🙂

Last edited:
I think Balance has improved in recent issues, so it's a shame if its publication is to be reduced. I would imagine that, for many supporters, it is their main 'contact' with the world of diabetes outside of their healthcare team. I think a lot of people aren't comfortable going online, and I must also say that I find the DUK website rather difficult to use - information is very fragmented, often requiring several clicks to visit all aspects of a topic, and the search facility is not very helpful. I say this as a very experienced computer user and software designer, so if I find it difficult how difficult must it be for a novice? I think limiting the production of Balance is a step away from many of the people DUK is intended to serve, and who support it through their donations.

Seems like a sensible decision to me. Times are tough for charities at the moment, and who knows how much more so they may get after the results of tomorrow's spending review..! I find it reassuring with charities that are taking stock and reviewing spending and as far as DUK are concerned although not ideal I'd much rather see the frequency of Balance reduced than money diverted from other sources of information available like the various leaflets,guides etc.

Interesting comment about reluctance of people to go online. There are lots of free courses available, plus free internet access at libraries, schools, colleges etc and online course at http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/

Was there a similar argument about providing information in other formats for people who couldn't / refused to learn to read? In part, yes: eg higher educated people in Medieval times wanted to restrict access to learning, at a time when very few got any education & church stained glass windows told stories without words; in Victorian times, primary age education was gradually made available to all; of course, some people are failed by education, and leave school unable to read / write adequately, but does that mean written material shouldn't be used to transmit information? Or should the emphasis be on getting everyone able to read adequately - and now to use internet adequtely?

While written information might be prefered by some people, it is expensive in both financial and environmental terms (printing, postage etc), so charities, like all other organisations, have to look at cheaper alternatives, such as more targetted publications, fewer magazine issues per year, greater use of intenet etc. But, please make DUK website easier to use, search etc 🙂

Balance

Reminded me of the good old days in the 1970s/1980s when my husband was editor of Balance and it was a bi-monthly. As a new diabetic I couldn't understand why I received so few copies but then it was virtually a one-man band and he was also advertising manager, and responsible for all publications. Hope tighter budgets mean they haven't reduced the current team too much.

Hi there,

Hope you're all well. Just wanted to let you know about a news story on our site I've just published about Balance.

[/[/url]url]http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News_Landing_Page/Balance---an-announcement

We've had to reduce the frequency of the magazine, so the next issue will be delayed by one month, and will now be available at the end of January 2011.

I'm collating any feedback we get about this, so it'd be great to use this thread for comment if that's ok?

Many thanks

Joe

Joe Freeman
Digital Communities Manager
Diabetes UK

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

That decision will not affect me because Balance has stopped coming to our house since I cancelled my standing order to Diabetes UK around a year ago.

These days, I go to places on the internet that offer me much better advice than anything that I ever got from Diabetes UK or my healthcare professionals. I'm a non-insulin-dependent Type 2 who, like many others, was told "do not test" by my healthcare professionals. Because I wasn't testing that meant that I wasn't aware that the "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" and "eat starchy carbohydrate with every meal" advice, given out by healthcare professionals and Diabetes UK, sent my blood glucose levels into double figures.

After eight years of getting worse - i.e. the "inevitable progression" that healthcare professionals and Diabetes UK tell us about - I started "eating to my meter" and following advice that some of the diabetes forums told us about and my situation has reversed totally. All my health indicator numbers are now better than at diagnosis and at any time in between. My HbA1c is down from 9.4% to 5.3% and, just recently, my GP has taken me off metformin altogether after having been taking that for three years. Moreover, just about all the diabetic symptoms that I'd ever experienced in ten years of being a Type 2 have disappeared altogether.

What I'm saying is that, in my opinion, the "eat starchy carbohydrate with every meal" advice that Diabetes UK pushes out is very poor advice indeed to give to non-insulin-dependent Type 2s. So, while Diabetes UK is giving out such bad dietary advice, maybe the less frequently that Balance magazine is issued the better. Why? Because, in my opinion, the advice is making the situations of people with Type 2 get worse.

However, I chair the local Diabetes UK Support Group and I am very aware that there is a large group of people with Type 2 diabetes who I feel so very sorry for. That group comprises the very many, mainly oder members, who don't ever use a computer and aren't ever likely to start using one. All they ever do is interact with the various healthcare professionals who give out such appalling "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice that ensures that their diabetic situation worsen - i.e. the "inevitable progression" they talk about.

Unfortunately, a very large number of people with Type 2 diabetes who aren't dependent on insulin are caught up in a very bad situation - i.e. being given quite appallingly poor "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice by healthcare professionals and not receiving much better dietary advice by Diabetes UK with their "eat starchy carbohydrate with every meal" advice. How are these people ever going to hear the much better "start to test", "eat to your meter" or "eat less starchy carbohydrate" advice given out by people on these diabetes forums?

Diabetes UK will become much more effective organisation when it starts warning non-insulin-dependent Type 2s to be careful about eating starchy carbohydrate and to eat less of this food group. Once that day comes, Balance magazine will then become a much more important publication and will maybe become well-worth reading because it will be giving out a message that will likely improve the lot of so many people with diabetes instead of making them get worse as it does today.

I really do look forward to the day that Diabetes UK and Balance improve the dietary advice that they give out. Maybe then we can all look forward to improving trends on blood glucose control instead of the very depressing figures of ?inevitable progression? that we are all so used to reading about today.

Good luck and best wishes - John

Joe, as someone who has been a supporting member since diagnosis back in 1982, I fully understand the decision to review the publication of Balance given the present economic climate. Not everyone is fortunate to have access to the internet, and so Balance is a lifeline to many keeping them informed of the latest news and developments in the world of diabetes, and survival of the publication is of vital importance to keep this link maintained. I can't see reducing the frequency of publications would have a adverse effect on membership, and most members would happily except that it became a 4 or 6 monthly publication rather than it to cease altogether, more important is that our membership fee's are put into research to find a cure for diabetes, that is and always should be the ultimate goal.

Always look forward to my copy of Balance, it has come on leaps and bounds over recent years and is a good read from cover to cover, but could we have more features on individual foods, for example the ones which are best at promoting good health with diabetes and those that are not, many foods are promoted as healthy nowadays and some clarification would be useful. Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back