baked beans and breaded chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Not necessarily together!

We are wondering this end whether baked beans or breaded chicken of some sort are slow to go in...

We always split dose (or dual wave, on pump) things like lentils, but have never done so with commercial baked beans, never really identifying a problem...but now we are wondering... We think that maybe morning beans are not causing a problem, perhaps being 'mopped up' later in the day with lunch and snack boluses...But at night we wonder if they are raising bgl?

Also, breaded chicken: we have wondering this off and on for ages. Does anyone else find their bgl raised past the bolus with foods like this?

Okay, now I really am getting to work...🙄

Thanks!

Baked beans do contain carbs, but some of the low salt and sugar ones are quite nice and don't cause such a high spike.

Also the bread on the breaded chicken contains carbs.

Most things give the carb values so that may be a guide for you.

can't advise about the insulin as I'm on pills, but we are all different. Try things and keep testing.

when i did DAFNE, i was told to ignore baked beans as the type of carb they contain does not raise sugar levels. i think though, again, it may be a case of they do different things to different people.

Hi P!

I have never found that baked beans cause a spike but partly I expect as I eat late at night and I am not following their profile. I always bolus for what it says on the tin. I remember reading a previous thread on here and I know some people dont bolus at all for beans so I cant imagine the spike being toooooo large!

The breaded chicken I am unsure about. Are you talking about something you have bought pre-sone or made yourself? If its pre-bought I would have assummed a higher fat content and therefore a slow riser but Im unsure.

Sorry that wasnt very helpful!

(Im hungry now!)

xx

Hi all

Many thanks. Yes I was trying to think back to this earlier thread too... We've always bolused what it says on the tin... But I'm interested to hear what shiv has to say -- if it's recommended not to bolus at all really, then they can't be that bad...

Chicken is different. This is pre-packaged stuff. They eat it every coupla weeks or so. It's just that last night E rose surprisingly, even though we 'beat him down' once, at 2am.

It could be that this is nothing to do with the food...but is actually night basal going wacky on different types of days, as I bring up with Tom at the end of my sensor thread in pumping...

Sigh.

For beans I just bolus what it says on the tin, and don't have any problems.
Breaded chicken, I don't always believe the carb count for those type of things, my estimation is usually way under compared to the packet, so i don't bolus the full amount. So my expereince with both these is different to E's so my post is probably of no use! If those foods are eaten at other times of the day with no obvious problems then you might be right in thinking it's a basal issue

Hi Patricia,
We cannot get beans right. Mostly if we take the tin carbs and bolus for them - this induces a hypo half an hour later. But if we dont bolus- he will spike. Unless he has them with chips - which i think slows things down? So now we just knock off about a third and hope....

Anything breaded causes a spike here. So we try not to give these foods too often - especially scampi - awful!😱Bev

Patricia, I was told not to bolus for them when having something like beans on toast, but I soon realised that I needed to because I always went high afterwards 😱

My understanding is that the beans, as pulses, don't need bolusing for, but the sauce does. Also, the fibre in the beans slows their digestion generally (but obviously not for everyone - that would be too diabetessimple!). I don't get spikes or hypos from beans, which I'm really happy about as it's one of may favourites!:D

Ack, lordy! Such a variety!

I've heard about fibre ending up 'counteracting' the carb in beans etc...What we *may* seem to suffer from in both the case of beans and breaded stuff, is a longer sustained rise, rather than a spike...both of which sound possible, from what people are saying...

We've considered using the pump dual wave to get round this, but it always seems such a tenuous link.

Hmm.

So do you not bolus at all then for them Northerner, or only the sauce? katie, do you bolus the whole lot, or only some of them?

E *did* go low last night at the peak of his bolus, which has been unusual recently. Something went wrong, certainly. And in this case, he *was* having a beans/breaded chicken meal. With roast tomatoes. Yum. Unusual for him to have both, but this may have just exagerrated the problem? His idea is to try beans with sausages for dinner, and just watch what happens on the sensor...Good idea, dude!

We should do the same with chicken.

And actually, he said not to bolus as a test. Oh. I've just remembered that. How does he know this?!

Yep, you should try out the sausage and bean idea and see what happens :D

I now bolus for the total carbs in the beans and it seems to work.

Mmm all this talk of beans is making me want some. I might have beans on toast for tea 😉

My understanding is that the beans, as pulses, don't need bolusing for, but the sauce does. Also, the fibre in the beans slows their digestion generally (but obviously not for everyone - that would be too diabetessimple!). I don't get spikes or hypos from beans, which I'm really happy about as it's one of may favourites!:D

This is why I don't like parts of the DAFNE thinking process.

If something has carbs it is best to bolus for it, this is a rule of thumb, everyone is different and what works for one, doesn't for another.

Baked beans have lots of carbs due to the tomato sauce. Some pulses do need bolusing for if you eat enough of them. For us, it is always do what it says on the packets or in the books. If I'm told not to bolus for something even though it had carbs in, I ignore that.

I don't minus the fibre either and I think they teach that in DAFNE. One friend does this but then she bolus' for eggs and they are protein so again its each to their own.

I always bolus for beans. I don't do a dual wave but she always has them on potatoes or toast and doesn't hypo immediately due to the potatoes and toast I would imagine.

I don't do a dual wave for beans on toast but people do. I met one lady once who had a daughter bit older than Jessica. She said that most of her daughter's meals were dual wave ie 2 out of three each day were dual wave. It worked for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back