Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Just had my results from eye screening and I’ve gone back into ‘background changes’ rather than ‘all clear’ for the first time in many years.

I suspect some of the rapid wobbles I had over the summer may have been the cause.

Hey-ho. Hopefully it will have cleared again by next year’s check.

Just had my results from eye screening and I’ve gone back into ‘background changes’ rather than ‘all clear’ for the first time in many years.

I suspect some of the rapid wobbles I had over the summer may have been the cause.

Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that it's just a blip! Nick

Hope it’s a temporary blip! I had my first 'background retinopathy' letter just before Christmas, and I thought of you, because I remembered you saying you’d had it, then it had gone again. I had a nasty bug in October, and my levels were still all over the place in November, so I’m hoping mine is just a temporary blip too.

I'm in the same boat as @Robin, after my fourth checkup. Like anyone else I can't do anything about it for now, so just got to suppress fearing anything bad and wait 12 months. Hope it will only be 12 months!

I had one of those letters a few years ago, Mike. Trying to remember how long ago and failing, but it could have been 10 or more years. I haven’t had one since, although they once found a ‘dot’ on a screening that freaked me out until the lovely eye doctor explained they weren’t uncommon and it could disappear, which it did. Nothing like that at all on the subsequent screens.

I know how it hits you in the gut though, despite knowing that background changes often resolve.

Last edited:
I had one of those letters a few years ago, Mike. Trying to remember how long ago and failing, but it could have been 10 or more years. I haven’t had one since, although they once found a ‘dot’ on a screening that freaked me out until the lovely eye doctor explained they weren’t uncommon and it could disappear, which it did. Nothing like that at all on the subsequent screens.

Yeah I flicked back through my file of letters. My last ‘background’ was 2013, so 10 years back, and I only had one before in 2010 a couple of years earlier.

I’m way less troubled by this one that I was the first time around (WHY do they make those letters so scary and doom-laden?!).

I confess it is a little disappointing though. I was quite proud of my “all clear” after more than 30 years playing this silly game.

I’m way less troubled by this one that I was the first time around (WHY do they make those letters so scary and doom-laden?!
They’re so generalised, too, my letter just said 'background retinopathy' with nothing further, and I assumed it was both eyes. I was checking my patient access today for something else, and happened to come across the letter they sent to the surgery, and it says, left eye, background retinopathy, right eye, no sign. I wish they’d put that in my copy!

I was checking my patient access today for something else, and happened to come across the letter they sent to the surgery, and it says, left eye, background retinopathy, right eye, no sign. I wish they’d put that in my copy!
I'm pretty sure mine has always had that, so it's always (apart from once) said R1M0 for each eye.

I've had it once many years ago, clear since. Funnily enough I was thinking about it today as my vision is quite blurry today. It seems BG has just settled down after a really high fortnight following a recent steroid injection. Hopefully it'll go before the next eye test.

Mike you are normally so well controlled I'm sure yours will clear.

Mine has always just said it in words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back