Baffled!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone explain my BS readings as I'm baffled, how can my BS rise so much even before I've got out of bed?????
23:45 = 9.6 02:59 = 4.8 05:01 = 7.9 07:59 = 10.0 Checked on my Libre2.

Last edited:
It’s probably Dawn Phenomenon @Jean G where your body pumps out extra glucose to get you ready for the day. Some people also have an additional rise when they get out of bed.

I’m Type 1 not Type 2 so I use my insulin pump to stop mine. I believe some Type 2s have found having a small snack before bed can help. Are you on any medication for the diabetes?

Thanks, is there any way to stop it????
Dawn phenomenon happens with most people regardless of whether they have diabetes. Our liver releases glucose to give us energy to start the day.
Those with fully working pancreas will release enough insulin to manage this.
People like us, with diabetes, do not have this advantage.
There are a few ways that may help
- a small snack (with no or little carbs)
- a good work out the day before.

I’m Type 1 not Type 2 so I use my insulin pump to stop mine. I believe some Type 2s have found having a small snack before bed can help. Are you on any medication for the diabetes?
I am on Humulin I and Ozempic,(not had Ozempic for a while though and have been put on Alogliptin)

I find exercise the previous evening makes a big difference to my DP.

In fact exercise is such a big factor for me that I have to reduce my evening insulin to prevent lows, so start steady and increase the amount of exercise carefully. I did 4 miles at a brisk walk last night and needed 2 units less insulin overnight and no DP this morning.

Thanks, is there any way to stop it????
I'm insulin dependent (Type 3c, no pancreas) and used to have Dawn Phenonemom or Foot on the Floor syndrome. I was intrigued about how my liver got stimulated to release that glucose, since the brain can't talk direct to the liver and uses an Enzyme called Glucagon (which only exists in one's pancreas, that I no longer have). Anyway a possible suggestion was that the enzyme Cortisol is involved - but the "how & why" was uncertain.

Anyway I have for the last almost 3 months been taking no-carb or very low carb bedtime snacks upstairs to eat a bit if I wake in the middle of the night or immediately after waking up. Usually the snacks are a bit of cheese and 2 or 3 low carb nuts or perhaps a bit of meat. Nothing with crumbs or leaving me with greasy fingers at 4am!

The outcome is that since starting doing this I've had NO morning BG rises. The principle is that a small protein snack fools my body into thinking my fast has been broken and that I don't need that glucose help first thing. If I have my first snack and then don't have my real breakfast within the next 90 minutes then my BG gradually starts to creep up - but not greatly or dramatically.

Half an hour before I eat my main meal, usually about 6:30pm.

@Jean G Ok, then I’d consider moving that later in the evening. Why? Because Humulin i only lasts 12 hours or sometimes less depending on the dose. Its action starts to decline, so by the time your Dawn Phenomenon is starting up, your insulin is running out. Taking the Humulin i at, say, 9pm might work better.

Two points - be very clear that it is Humulin i you’re taking (i stands for isophane, which is a slow-acting background insulin) not a mixed Humulin. Secondly, do check with your nurse if you’re at all unsure.

In fact exercise is such a big factor for me that I have to reduce my evening insulin to prevent lows, so start steady and increase the amount of exercise carefully. I did 4 miles at a brisk walk last night and needed 2 units less insulin overnight and no DP this morning.
Thank you.

@Jean G Ok, then I’d consider moving that later in the evening. Why? Because Humulin i only lasts 12 hours or sometimes less depending on the dose. Its action starts to decline, so by the time your Dawn Phenomenon is starting up, your insulin is running out. Taking the Humulin i at, say, 9pm might work better.

Two points - be very clear that it is Humulin i you’re taking (i stands for isophane, which is a slow-acting background insulin) not a mixed Humulin. Secondly, do check with your nurse if you’re at all unsure.
Many thanks

I'm insulin dependent (Type 3c, no pancreas) and used to have Dawn Phenonemom or Foot on the Floor syndrome. I was intrigued about how my liver got stimulated to release that glucose, since the brain can't talk direct to the liver and uses an Enzyme called Glucagon (which only exists in one's pancreas, that I no longer have). Anyway a possible suggestion was that the enzyme Cortisol is involved - but the "how & why" was uncertain.

Anyway I have for the last almost 3 months been taking no-carb or very low carb bedtime snacks upstairs to eat a bit if I wake in the middle of the night or immediately after waking up. Usually the snacks are a bit of cheese and 2 or 3 low carb nuts or perhaps a bit of meat. Nothing with crumbs or leaving me with greasy fingers at 4am!

The outcome is that since starting doing this I've had NO morning BG rises. The principle is that a small protein snack fools my body into thinking my fast has been broken and that I don't need that glucose help first thing. If I have my first snack and then don't have my real breakfast within the next 90 minutes then my BG gradually starts to creep up - but not greatly or dramatically.
Thank you, will start taking a low carb snack to bed with me.

Let us know how you get on and (hopefully) which technique works for you.

Thank you, will start taking a low carb snack to bed with me.
I originally took a couple of baby bels upstairs as my night snack - until I realised these "economy" packs were actually retailing at c.£25 / kg. For heavily processed cheese! Cheap cheddar was quickly proved to be too crumbly, so my current snack is a very modest piece of lowish cost mild brie, with 3 hazelnuts or walnut pieces pressed into the brie to make a single composite mouthful. A single mouthful is enough and it's pretty 'clean' as a snack while in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back