bad-day

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmasamduke

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi, woke this morning in a panicy state, managed breakfast, felt no better just really tired and anxious so skipped dinner not meaning 2, cos had a hours kip 2 try get outa anxious state, wen woke could feel slight shake and new i was goin bit hypo checked BG 3.8 and wen av gone under 4.0 before i av had same shakey feelings, so had sum milk and bisuits 2 bring me bk up, then bowl ov soup with toast checked BG 15 mins later was 5.5 now will that soup and toast be enough 2 keep me going till my main meal or should i eat somethings else now or leave it anotha couple ov hours. thanks in advance ov any replies. Andrew 😡

Hi Andrew, I would imagine that the soup and toast will keep you going. I wouldn't normally have that much to treat a hypo - usually a couple of jelly babies and a biscuit would be sufficient, comprising abut 20 grams of carbohydrate. I would think that your soup and toast would be in the region of 30-40 grams carbs minimum - the packet/tin should have the info.

Hope you are feeling better soon!🙂

Hi Andrew, I would imagine that the soup and toast will keep you going. I wouldn't normally have that much to treat a hypo - usually a couple of jelly babies and a biscuit would be sufficient, comprising abut 20 grams of carbohydrate. I would think that your soup and toast would be in the region of 30-40 grams carbs minimum - the packet/tin should have the info.

Hope you are feeling better soon!🙂

Ty northerner it must ov been 5 and half hours after brekie that i had had anything 2 eat again, so thought better av sumthing plus i not counting carb intake do u think i should be,

Ty northerner it must ov been 5 and half hours after brekie that i had had anything 2 eat again, so thought better av sumthing plus i not counting carb intake do u think i should be,

Feeling hungry can make you feel a bit worse when your blood sugar is low. As a Type 2 you probably don't need to carb count as such - people on insulin use it as a way of working out how much insulin to inject with their food. For you, it is probably more important to be aware of portion sizes and make sure that you don't eat too much of foods that make your blood sugar climb too high - so food with a low GI (glycaemic index) is best.

If your blood sugar drops too low i.e. under 4.0 then a little something sweet and quick-acting will quickly get rid of the shakiness. If you're then due to have a meal, go right ahead, or if it is a little while before your next meal then you might want to have a little snack like a couple of digestives or a piece of fruit to keep you going.

It would probably be worth having a word with your doctor or DSN as it may be that your medication can be reduced if you are feeling like this often.

Feeling hungry can make you feel a bit worse when your blood sugar is low. As a Type 2 you probably don't need to carb count as such - people on insulin use it as a way of working out how much insulin to inject with their food. For you, it is probably more important to be aware of portion sizes and make sure that you don't eat too much of foods that make your blood sugar climb too high - so food with a low GI (glycaemic index) is best.

If your blood sugar drops too low i.e. under 4.0 then a little something sweet and quick-acting will quickly get rid of the shakiness. If you're then due to have a meal, go right ahead, or if it is a little while before your next meal then you might want to have a little snack like a couple of digestives or a piece of fruit to keep you going.

It would probably be worth having a word with your doctor or DSN as it may be that your medication can be reduced if you are feeling like this often.

hi northener, i av just tested ther at20.55pm was 10.5 last time i tested was at17.43 and it was 5.5 after just avin my toast and soup . now i aint sure whether i took my second metformin with that meal, will that have any bearing on still bieng 10.5 plz Andrew tnx

hi northener, i av just tested ther at20.55pm was 10.5 last time i tested was at17.43 and it was 5.5 after just avin my toast and soup . now i aint sure whether i took my second metformin with that meal, will that have any bearing on still bieng 10.5 plz Andrew tnx

I suspect that your levels were still rising due to the soup and toast you had eaten, as the 5.5 was only 15 minutes after eating and the food would have taken at least an hour to convert to glucose in the blood. If you did forget your metformin that would also have an effect I would have thought - I believe it works by preventing the absorption of carbohydrate.

I suspect that your levels were still rising due to the soup and toast you had eaten, as the 5.5 was only 15 minutes after eating and the food would have taken at least an hour to convert to glucose in the blood. If you did forget your metformin that would also have an effect I would have thought - I believe it works by preventing the absorption of carbohydrate.

tnx for your help.Andrew

Whilst most Type 2s don't need to carb count for working out insulin levels, a number of us do watch the carb intakes carefully to manage our blood glucose more effectively so if you find you are having problems with going low then learning more may be helpful. One of the things I found difficult to get to grips with when I first started having hypos was how little I needed to raise the blood sugar level in the first instance (3 glucotabs or 3 jelly babies) would normally do it before working out whether I needed something more substantial depending when I was next due to eat.

Sounds like you have had lots of good advice already, so nothing I can add excpet to say I hope you are feeling better.

hi there Andrew hope you are feeling better X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back