Bad back treatment and high sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margie79

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am new to the forum but would like to ask if anyone has had an epidural with steroid injections for a painful back? Since having this procedure my sugar levels (1 am type 1) have been way high (19+ sometimes), much much higher than normal yet I am hardly eating anything? The Doctor says just give it time but it is very worrying, has anyone else experienced this?

I am very good at managing my diabetes and have been a type 1 diabetic for 45 years - so this is quite confusing. I give myself more insulin before meals but the sugar is still high.

Thanks for your time.🙂

The last tome I had an epidural was almost 24 years ago as my big boy was born be emergency ceasarean (not sure about spelling). Because I has having an op I was completely numb from the waist down.

I do know someone who has epidurals for back pain relief. They give him a whole new lease of life, although they do wear off after a while andhe needs a top up from time to time. On the whole they seem to work pretty well.

Hi I am new to the forum but would like to ask if anyone has had an epidural with steroid injections for a painful back? Since having this procedure my sugar levels (1 am type 1) have been way high (19+ sometimes), much much higher than normal yet I am hardly eating anything? The Doctor says just give it time but it is very worrying, has anyone else experienced this?

I am very good at managing my diabetes and have been a type 1 diabetic for 45 years - so this is quite confusing. I give myself more insulin before meals but the sugar is still high.

Thanks for your time.🙂

Hi Margie, welcome to the forum 🙂 I don't personally have ay experience with steroids, but I do nkow that a bad effect on blood sugar levels has been reported many times so it does seem as though it is a common side effect for diabetics. Hopefully, someone will be able to give you their personal experience before too long!

Hi namesake

I have no experience of epidurals but one of the side effects of steroids is higher blood glucose. Could you talk to your DSN and get some advice. I know someone who whilst on steroids needed insulin - but when he recovered and no longer needed the steroids he could stop the insulin -that was the extent that the BMs were being affected.

Thanks for your time.🙂

I have had 2 epidurals and 6 facet joint injections and my sugars went up into the 20's because of the steroids.. it dropped down again about a couple of weeks later.

Not Epidural but had steriods injected into my arthritic knee, and it affected my blood sugars too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back