Bad back allowed Lixwm man to be diagnosed with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A MAN has credited an education course with keeping his diabetes in check.

Ahead of Diabetes Week next week, Barry Worrall, 52, of Lixwm, near Holywell, has spoken about developing type two diabetes.

Mr Worrall, who works for Chester-based Brandon Tool Hire, was shocked to learn he had the disease as he led an active lifestyle, both in work and at home.

He said: “I work as a depot manager so there’s a lot of walking around and my hobbies include breeding miniature Welsh mountain ponies, which is also quite hard work, what with the mucking out and getting up and down the fields.

“The first I knew of it was when I went to the doctor with a completely unrelated back pain and he did a few tests. He came back to me and said ‘do you have diabetes?’

http://www.newsnorthwales.co.uk/new...-lixwm-man-to-be-diagnosed-with-diabetes.aspx

Thanks to the journalist for mentioning that 1 in 5 Type 2s are normal weight at diagnosis 🙂

Not sure about this though:

Diabetes UK’s Diabetes Week aims to raise awareness of diabetes in Wales, where there are more than 170,000 living with the condition – about 66,000 with type two.

So, bucking the worldwide trend, there are considerably more Type1s in Wales than Type2s?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back