Backpackers insurance!!!

Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all,

I am currently well into the process of planning a 3-month solo backpacking trip around SE Asia, and I started looking into travel insurance tonight and its a bit of a minefield! Long-term travel insurance is complicated enough anyway as a lot of insurance companies will invalidate your insurance if you don't have a return flight booked (for example). But on a lot of the backpacker specific travel insurance websites, they don't ask anything about health conditions, or if they do they just say that their insurance wouldn't cover these conditions. Alternatively, there are chronic illness specific travel insurance companies, but these then don't cover the backpacker side of things (in terms of lack of return flight, entering multiple countries etc etc.).

So I'm in a bit of a pickle and would greatly appreciate the advice of any diabetics who have been in the same situation 🙂

Thank you!

Hi all,

I am currently well into the process of planning a 3-month solo backpacking trip around SE Asia, and I started looking into travel insurance tonight and its a bit of a minefield! Long-term travel insurance is complicated enough anyway as a lot of insurance companies will invalidate your insurance if you don't have a return flight booked (for example). But on a lot of the backpacker specific travel insurance websites, they don't ask anything about health conditions, or if they do they just say that their insurance wouldn't cover these conditions. Alternatively, there are chronic illness specific travel insurance companies, but these then don't cover the backpacker side of things (in terms of lack of return flight, entering multiple countries etc etc.).

So I'm in a bit of a pickle and would greatly appreciate the advice of any diabetics who have been in the same situation 🙂

Thank you!
AllClear seems to be a company quite a few people have used. Have a look in the search for Travel Insurance and there are a few threads.

Hi all,

Thank you!
Hello!

I use TrueTraveller for longterm backpacker travel insurance. They offer policies without needing return tickets and you can easily extend if you don't want to go home! Most importantly - it only cost me about £100 to add on a preexisting condition to my 12 month policy.

Back