Background Retinopathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopiert

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I received my results from my annual eye test. This was the fourth test and all the others have come back clear. This time it was flagged as I have background retinopathy.

I am not sure what to make of this or what I need to do next. I guess I need to call the GP who will use it as an excuse to pressure me onto Statins. She may as also suggest I go back into Metformin. Diet alone seems to be working less well at the moment (although it hasn’t changed)

I was wondering what others experience is and whether it is reversible.

Thanks

Nick

I’m not sure why you would call the GP, they’ll get a copy of the letter too and there’s no treatment needed for background retinopathy. Statins treat cholesterol not retinopathy. All you can do is try to keep your blood sugars stable.

I’m not sure why you would call the GP, they’ll get a copy of the letter too and there’s no treatment needed for background retinopathy. Statins treat cholesterol not retinopathy. All you can do is try to keep your blood sugars stable.
Thanks

The reason I said statins is I read somewhere that high cholesterol is one of the factors that can cause retinopathy as it increases the chances of arteries getting clogged.

It looks like I will need to double down on reducing blood sugars.

Nick

Thanks

The reason I said statins is I read somewhere that high cholesterol is one of the factors that can cause retinopathy as it increases the chances of arteries getting clogged.

It looks like I will need to double down on reducing blood sugars.

Nick
As I understand it, generally the most important things to control to reduce retinopathy progression risk are BP and BG, and LDL cholesterol to a lesser extent.

@Kopiert - retinopathy is the effects of veins at the back of the eyes bleeding - not getting blocked ! Yes, it is reversible - but ONLY if you keep your BG in the 'normal' range for as long as you possibly can.

I've had background R since the mid 1990s and haven't needed any treatment for it as yet - so there's definitely hope!

Hi @Kopiert

I've always found this site useful for all aspects and stages of retinopathy. This is information on background retinopathy, scroll down and there's a list of factors that can affect retinopathy - including glucose control/HbA1c and avoiding a rapid decrease in HbA1c - gentle reduction is kinder on the fragile retina vessels -cholesterol, blood pressure, stopping smoking, weight etc

Hi @Kopiert

I've always found this site useful for all aspects and stages of retinopathy. This is information on background retinopathy, scroll down and there's a list of factors that can affect retinopathy - including glucose control/HbA1c and avoiding a rapid decrease in HbA1c - gentle reduction is kinder on the fragile retina vessels -cholesterol, blood pressure, stopping smoking, weight etc

@Flower That is an incredibly useful resource, thanks for passing it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back