Background retinopathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan444

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
I recently had my diabetic eye screening and was told I have background retinopathy. I have only been diagnosed with T1 since October 2021 and last years screening was fine. I exercise daily, my last A1C was 41, I’m 92% in target, I don’t smoke and am not overweight so I was shocked this has progressed already. Has anyone got any advice as I don’t see what more I can do?

Hi all
I recently had my diabetic eye screening and was told I have background retinopathy. I have only been diagnosed with T1 since October 2021 and last years screening was fine. I exercise daily, my last A1C was 41, I’m 92% in target, I don’t smoke and am not overweight so I was shocked this has progressed already. Has anyone got any advice as I don’t see what more I can do?
Firstly don't panic. It's a common thing to get a letter with background retinopathy, which scares the heck out of the receiver:( Your letter also said see you in a years time, which means all is ok basically.
Some people get the same letter every year and have done for decades with no treatment needed.

So take a nice deep breath and carry on as you are, which from your states is fantastically well 🙂

Over the years I have had letters one year saying background retinopathy and the following year reporting nothing. If they say something like re-screen in 12 months then there is nothing to worry about. I believe what they are picking up are tiny bleeds from the capillaries which tend to resolve on their own, any blood getting absorbed. I know it’s easy to say, and I am the worst with health anxiety, but don’t worry and panic. Your HbA1C is excellent so you will be at low risk of having any problems.

Hi all

I suppose it depends on you.

Personally, I'm a "want to know" sort of person.

I've found my eye screening is quite abrupt with the NHS.
In and out.
But my optician does eye screening for a fee,she is trained for diabetic retinopathy on top of the usual things.
I usually go between NHS appointments and she will take the time to talk through all the scans, and is happy to discuss any concerns.
So far I've been clear, but its good to have a second opinion for me.

Sorry to hear you’ve had the Scary Letter Of Dread @Morgan444

I wish they could find a way of phrasing it better!

Several members (myself included) have had that letter once or twice, and then reverted to getting “all clear” letters, or the background stays background and doesn’t progress further.

Temporary changes in the eyes can sometimes follow a rapid improvement in BG levels, so it might be that the changes could only be transient and might clear up as your improved levels are maintained?

Try not to worry too much at this stage (easier said than done, I know!)

I got a background retinopathy the year before last but was back to all clear last year. It may be that this was due to bringing your levels down into range after diagnosis which can put a bit of strain on the fragile capillary blood vessels in the retina and with your excellent diabetes management now, then it may well be resolved by next year, so do try to be relaxed about it. This is very unlikely to be the start of a slippery slope or degeneration. I equate it to getting cuts and bruises on my body. Mostly they heal and you can't ever tell that they were there. Occasionally you get a bad one that leaves a scar but the scar doesn't get worse unless you keep damaging the same area. With good diabetes management, your body has every chance of repairing itself without any trace of that very minor bruise, so just keep doing what you are doing and next year or maybe the year after you will hopefully get the "all clear" again.

I first got that letter three years ago and have had the same one every year since. Background retinopathy doesn’t affect your eyesight and doesn’t necessarily develop further

I had it on last years screen (my first) and have since had the optician do one (was in for an eye test and he wanted to get his own set of pics to monitor).
He showed me it on the screen and pointed out what looked like old scars and some new bleeds.
He also explained where they were was so far out of my periphery vision it would make no different to my eyesight. 😉

And even if it did affect your vision, you might not have retinopathy in both eyes. I only have it in my right eye but the letter doesn’t tell you that. Even if I completely lost vision in my right eye, I could still drive etc as I’d have my left eye.

I first had that letter in the 1990s and every year since until this year when the missive said it couldn't find any evidence of diabetes in either of my eyes.

Frankly I doubt that very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back