Background insulin travelling to las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Reading another thread just reminded me, flying to Vegas next week hoping someone can come up with a plan..
Will be taking 16 units of tresiba at 7 am on the day of my flight, only take the 1 dose of basal, bearing in mind the time difference my next day's dosage would be around midnight vegas time, is there any way I could move the times,dosage etc where I would be taking my basal at 7am vegas time, got me dizzy thinking about it...Thanks

My understanding is that Tresiba is very forgiving for later and earlier times for dosing as it lasts about 36 hours.
So, if it was me, I would either
- miss the midnight dose and just take it at 7am. Due to the long life of the Tresiba, you will not be without basal.
- if you are worried about the longer period, you could gradually move your dosage time over a few days (I used to do this with Lantus). For example, 2 days before travel, take it at 9am UK time. The day before travel take it at 11am. The day you fly, take it at 1pm. Then you will be lined up to take it at 7am Las Vegas time (3pm UK time*). I find setting an alarm on my phone helped me remember.
- there are calculators which can suggest different doses to allow for the longer/shorter time between doses. I have never used these and not sure how reliable they are.

Whatever you do, don't forget to do it in reverse when you return home.
And ENJOY VEGAS!

(*I had to check this because US are currently in daylight saving time and we change this coming weekend. So next week, both countries will be daylight saving and time difference will be back to "normal".)

Last edited:
Yes @helli is spot on - Tresiba is very forgiving. It is widely used in the States where far more people are frequent flyers across time zones within the States and further afield and NovoNordisk market it against this capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back