Background insulin - time difference, travelling to India - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broomey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Later this week I am travelling to India. Time difference - India are 5 1/2 ahead of UK. How do I adjust the timing of my background insulin injections - it’s doing my head in trying to work it out Typically I am injecting levemir at 07.00 (13u) am and 22.00 (35u) pm. My flights are
Depart UK 06.30 (28/3) arrive India 06.05 (29/3)
Depart India 07.40 (9/4) arrive UK 17.05 (9/4)
Connecting flight via Helsinki

Has anyone got any suggestions please

Thanks

There are online calculators you can use @Broomey but I prefer to work it out myself. How long is the flight? Is your arrival time in India local time? It helps if you put both times (U.K. and India) in as then you can check you’re not having too much basal by having it too early.

Thanks Inka
All times quotes are local times
I’ve tried to find an online calculator without any success - can you suggest please?
My consultant was not overly confident suggesting I amend the timings 2/3 days before I fly to coincide with India times
I’ve mapped something out but means injecting at 03.30 UK time

Add both times to each time - that avoids confusion. How long will you be in India?

Thanks Inka
All times quotes are local times
I’ve tried to find an online calculator without any success - can you suggest please?
My consultant was not overly confident suggesting I amend the timings 2/3 days before I fly to coincide with India times
I’ve mapped something out but means injecting at 03.30 UK time

I wouldn’t worry about injecting at 03.30 UK time. You’ll probably be settling down anyway and will have jetlag. One option is to have your morning Levemir earlier on the day you leave, with a slight reduction in amount. Your 2nd Levemir dose will then be due earlier.

Mapping it out - literally drawing out the days and doses - is the simplest way, I’ve found. Your major issue will probably be the big difference between your two doses. You don’t want to be taking an evening Lev amount in the morning in India. You might have to split a dose or doses to avoid this, or just reduce a dose and correct any highs with bolus/fast insulin @Broomey

I have seen people make very elegant phased transitions from one time zone to another. Personally the only time I’ve flown long-haul I took a more pragmatic approach… I basically adopted the time-zone of the destination country as soon as I could. I figured the flight itself (and the weird timelessness of airports) would be chaotic enough, and I’d need to be firefighting for many reasons… so basal would just have to fit in with that!

Later this week I am travelling to India. Time difference - India are 5 1/2 ahead of UK. How do I adjust the timing of my background insulin injections - it’s doing my head in trying to work it out Typically I am injecting levemir at 07.00 (13u) am and 22.00 (35u) pm. My flights are
Depart UK 06.30 (28/3) arrive India 06.05 (29/3)
Depart India 07.40 (9/4) arrive UK 17.05 (9/4)
Connecting flight via Helsinki

Has anyone got any suggestions please

Thanks
OK. I did Gulf air to India many years back. I just rolled with the time change regarding my MDI. (Sat my usual out.) When I got to my destination. In the south. You may wish to lower your basal? I was pretty insulin sensitive in the heat. Then carefully adjusted when I got home.
Have a flippin great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back