Background insulin on day of pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberzak

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So getting the pump tomorrow afternoon. My husband just asked me what I do about my background Insulin tomorrow morning, and I just realised they haven't actually told me, and of course I can't get hold of them to ask.

Do I give myself the same amount? Or less? I can't skip it because then I will be high all morning.

So getting the pump tomorrow afternoon. My husband just asked me what I do about my background Insulin tomorrow morning, and I just realised they haven't actually told me, and of course I can't get hold of them to ask.

Do I give myself the same amount? Or less? I can't skip it because then I will be high all morning.

Personally I would skip it and use correction doses all morning.
Hopefully others will come along and say how they managed.
Good luck 🙂

We weren't told anything, so just took it as normal the night before and then went on the pump the next day. I don't remember it causing any problems, the pump will need loads of tweaking in the first few weeks anyway.

To be honest though we had only been on MDI for a week and hadn't even got doses sorted on that, or even as far as carb counting, so I don't know if that helps much! Hope it all goes well anyway!

Remembering back to when I switched I was told to take my background injection at night as normal. IMHO as your injection is in the morning, I wouldn't take it as you will be getting background insulin as soon as you hook up to your pump. As others have said, you can take small corrections on pen if getting higher. Are you able to contact DSN first thing tomorrow morning?

I might call them first thing. Thanks everyone

I take my insulin morning and night.

Hi Amberzak I took my basal, Levemir, day and night before I started on the pump. I was told to definitely not have my Levemir the morning that I started the pump. You may have to allow for your BGs running a little higher, which you can correct, but it would be a nightmare having your long-acting insulin still working when you start on the pump. Good luck with everything. Pumps are fantastic.

I did as Sue suggested. I skipped my last Lantus (which I took once a day at breakfast) and covered basal with 2-hourly micro boluses based on basal dose/12 until I had been through pump training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back