Back With My Tail Between My Legs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne888

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I joined the forum 3ish years ago after being told I was diabetic (actually just checked and it’s been 12 years ago! Must have joined when hubby was diagnosed!) My hba1c was 50. I reduced carbs, went on a diet and after 6 months hba1c was 46 and I’d lost 3 stone. I think the lack of interest from my GP eventually made me stop bothering. A huge mistake. After that first check at the surgery, I was told they wouldn’t see me for a year and hey ho, they’ve never seen me since. So I’m back to square one.. well, worse. A recent hospital visit for a small operation meant I had bloods taken and my hba1c was 54. I’m lucky it’s not higher. I got so much help and support from you all before, I’m embarrassed to walk back into the forum, but I’m here and I know I’ve got to stay.

Last edited:
Welcome back @Lynne888, have you returned to the metformin or are you going to make a restart without any meds for now? Good luck, anyway.

Welcome back @Lynne888, have you returned to the metformin or are you going to make a restart without any meds for now? Good luck, anyway.
Thank you. I never took the metformin. I’ve been tempted but I get so many side effects from medication I’ve been a bit apprehensive. I’m going to try and reverse it with diet.

Hi and welcome back.

We all fall off the wagon a bit from time to time, so there should be no judgement from anyone here. The important thing is that you have taken the step to get back on top of it and you know you can do it because you have done it before and really 54 is not a significant rise and should be doable without medication. If you need any tips or suggestions for low carb meals do shout up. I think the easiest meal to change is brealkfast because most of us have more or less the same thing every morning, so if you can develop a habit of a low carb breakfast you are more than a third of the way to fixing the situation, because breakfast is when we are usually most insulin resistant. I am a big fan of creamy Greek natural yoghurt with a few mixed berries and mixed seeds and cinnamon, but occasionally I have bacon and eggs and mushrooms and a piece of black pudding and pickled beetroot or an omelette with whatever filling needs using up from the fridge, usually cheese and veggies and serve it with a large side salad and a big dollop of coleslaw. That will often keep me going until teatime, so I don't need to bother with lunch.

Hi and welcome back.

We all fall off the wagon a bit from time to time, so there should be no judgement from anyone here. The important thing is that you have taken the step to get back on top of it and you know you can do it because you have done it before and really 54 is not a significant rise and should be doable without medication. If you need any tips or suggestions for low carb meals do shout up. I think the easiest meal to change is brealkfast because most of us have more or less the same thing every morning, so if you can develop a habit of a low carb breakfast you are more than a third of the way to fixing the situation, because breakfast is when we are usually most insulin resistant. I am a big fan of creamy Greek natural yoghurt with a few mixed berries and mixed seeds and cinnamon, but occasionally I have bacon and eggs and mushrooms and a piece of black pudding and pickled beetroot or an omelette with whatever filling needs using up from the fridge, usually cheese and veggies and serve it with a large side salad and a big dollop of coleslaw. That will often keep me going until teatime, so I don't need to bother with lunch.
Thanks so much. I’ll definitely take on board what you’ve said about breakfast! I’ve been buying no fat yoghurt but read today that full fat is best so I need to rethink a few things!

Lidl and Aldi both do 1kg tubs of creamy Greek style natural yoghurt made from British milk so less air miles, which is relatively inexpensive. They are thick and creamy and delicious. I then buy packs of frozen berries at this time of year (fresh in the summer from the garden/hedgerows) and just defrost enough for 3 days at a time and it is a quick and easy breakfast. I get the bags of mixed seeds from Lidl too although I am sure Aldi and the bigger supermarkets will do similar mix bags, or you can add chopped nuts if you prefer.

Thank you for this. Will check the yoghurt out. I’ve never used frozen fruit but I do hate out of season stuff as there’s no flavour to it at all. I’ll give the frozen a go!

Just last night I made a sugar free jelly and added frozen berries.
The full info is one sachet of jelly - more is too much sweetener, so I add powdered gelatine, mix in cold water to make the gelatine plump up, then boiling water to dissolve it all. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then pour in the frozen fruit making sure it doesn't clump together.
It sets in a very short time and lasts several days.
I use the Lidl 4 berry mix as it is cheaper than the summer fruits and almost as good. There are huge strawberries in it so sometimes I chop them into small pieces. I have knives worthy of Sweeny Todd so even frozen strawberries have no chance.
Also from Lidl I get the two lowest carb options of frozen stirfry, not the Mexican mix, as they seem to come in handy quite often. Best cooked slowly though, not like fresh stuff. It takes time for the heat to penetrate the cauliflower/broccoli and for the liquid to evaporate away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back