Back to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellie01

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Who decides when you should go back.to work ? You or your doctor ? I went to the doctors to get another sick note this morning, wasn't my doctor as he is off this week, the doctor gave me a note for another week and said i need to see a doctor again next week to assess if i can go back to work. He said i would i would be alright to go back next week but he obviously doesn't know my body, i am still really tired, have no energy, have no muscle at the moment as my body had been using my fat and muscle to live on , am not sleeping properly either. Surely it is no skin off their nose if i have a bit of extra time off to recuperate especially as i work in a supermarket humping heavy deliveries about. Think i will see my own doctor next week and see what he says as he knew how ill i was compared to this other doctor who doesn't know me at all x

Who decides when you should go back.to work ? You or your doctor ? I went to the doctors to get another sick note this morning, wasn't my doctor as he is off this week, the doctor gave me a note for another week and said i need to see a doctor again next week to assess if i can go back to work. He said i would i would be alright to go back next week but he obviously doesn't know my body, i am still really tired, have no energy, have no muscle at the moment as my body had been using my fat and muscle to live on , am not sleeping properly either. Surely it is no skin off their nose if i have a bit of extra time off to recuperate especially as i work in a supermarket humping heavy deliveries about. Think i will see my own doctor next week and see what he says as he knew how ill i was compared to this other doctor who doesn't know me at all x
Hello @kellie01,

It is very strange that another doctor suggested you go to work that week, given that you were going for a revised sick note. It may be helpful to speak to your employer asap so both of you are not caught in the dark.

Hello @kellie01,

It is very strange that another doctor suggested you go to work that week, given that you were going for a revised sick note. It may be helpful to speak to your employer asap so both of you are not caught in the dark.
My boss at work is happy for me to take off as much time as i need as obviously saw how sick i was, if my doctor won't give me another one i might just have to take a loss and have a couple of weeks unpaid and just tighten my belt a bit x

I've only had one long-term sickness period requiring a Dr's note but the continuation was part of a consultation between myself and the GP. I got a note four weeks at a time to save going back weekly. Bloomin' shingles - I remember it like it was yesterday 😱

Take the note for the week but then book in to see another GP next week and explain your situation. They are likely to be more sympathetic.

I've only had one long-term sickness period requiring a Dr's note but the continuation was part of a consultation between myself and the GP. I got a note four weeks at a time to save going back weekly. Bloomin' shingles - I remember it like it was yesterday 😱

Take the note for the week but then book in to see another GP next week and explain your situation. They are likely to be more sympathetic.
I think my own doctor will be more sympathetic as he saw how sick i was when he sent me to a&e, if he won't sign me off for longer i will just have to take unpaid leave and tighten my belt for a couple of weeks x

Ridiculous @kellie01 ! I hope your own doctor is more sympathetic. If you’re not up to doing your usual physical job, you shouldn’t go back. I’m sure your employer wouldn’t want you to. Keep your employer updated and look after yourself.

A dr should advise on whether okay to return and whether full time or phased or lighter duties or normal duties, so I’d go with what the dr recommended and see someone next week to decide

A dr should advise on whether okay to return and whether full time or phased, so I’d go with what the dr recommended
But how can he advise when he doesn't know how my body is feeling and knows nothing about me or my situation, will take advice from my own doctor over one that doesn't know me .

But how can he advise when he doesn't know how my body is feeling and knows nothing about me or my situation, will take advice from my own doctor over one that doesn't know me .
It’s in consultation with you and your observations eg bg results. Ask for lighter duties or phased return if you’re not feeling up to full time normal duties. He can put that in the note as a requirement.

Did you empathize to the other doctor how you are feeling? Because the way I see it you are in no shape to go to work.
You are lucky that your employer is so understanding.
Maybe go back for another check-up, maybe even another doctor? No need to go on unpaid leave.

Did you empathize to the other doctor how you are feeling? Because the way I see it you are in no shape to go to work.
You are lucky that your employer is so understanding.
Maybe go back for another check-up, maybe even another doctor? No need to go on unpaid leave.
Yes i did but he didn't seem too interested, so will make an appointment with my normal doctor on Tuesday. I get 20 weeks paid sickness so work aren't too worried, would rather have me back when i am fully recovered as could see how much i was struggling before i ended up in hospital x

Well definitely not fit enough yet, cleaned out my 450 litre fish tank today, which involved taking out 11 buckets of water and putting 11 buckets back in plus giving it a good scrub, well i needed to have a nap after that as wore me out lol x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back