Back again...seeking more advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion2012

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I hope all are keeping well xx
My 10 year old has the libre 3... I touched on a previous post explaining that his range was OK staying within the green and in target in the early days of sensor fitment. However these past TREE DAYS he has crazy out of the blue spikes... As in rocket spikes even the diabetes team are baffled as to why to the point where they are ademant my son actually sneaks a snack in making him rocket upwards.
He has his lunch at school for example and and hour and half later he quickly and rapidly shoots up.. And his bloods just keep going and going and going. This weekend has been a complete nightmare, always in the teens and then drifting into the 20s.... 25s....
The team are baffled as to why he suddenly peaks and sky rockets out of the blue??? I need help it's getting me down now as we did have some routine going on.
He has just started kaftrio last Thursday.. The cystic fibrosis wonder drug and i wondered if this could be any cause?... I've been told it does not interfere with sugars but I'm thinking a new medication in the body.. And ongoing... This may stir his body to act all strangely perhaps??
I have attached an image of the kind of readings i have had to deal with this weekend. All night last night did not sleep as every two hours i was having to correct him... But the issue is the insulin does nothing. If anything he goes upwards!!!!!!.... I then added an extra 0.5 on top to bring him down.. He then plummeted and i had to give him a couple of dextro tablets..... Which then made him (two hours later) raise up into the 18s.. 19s
I just cannot control this at the moment. He plays academy level football for rufc and England and although i don't want to i may have to pull him out until this is rectified I'm at my wits end. Attached are two images of the recent readings and the one where we had some kind of control.. Notice the sheer sky rocket peak!!!!!! He shot up nearly two hours afyer lunch... Madness.
I am thinking of changing to fiasp and not novo rapid?... Is this worth a swap please. Thank you all in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220320_062713_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220320_062713_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220328_164000_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220328_164000_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7
Are you doing finger jabs to check the sensor is accurate?
Also if so is it certain food types causing the problem?

Are you doing finger jabs to check the sensor is accurate?
Also if so is it certain food types causing the problem?
Hi.. Yes always finger prick. Example of this evening. He was 17.5. I injected with correction and extra 0.5..... 15 mins later he was over 21.... See attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220328_224627_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220328_224627_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 4
Could he possibly be coming down with an infection? e.g covid... lots of kids have it and it does push BGs up.

Hi there and thank you for the reply. We both had covid at Xmas... Although granted could always get it again.
Hes absolutely fine in himself but guess its worth a test anyway
Another image attached nearly one hour after correction plus extra 0.5 on top..... Still 21....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220328_231434_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220328_231434_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1
Hmm he did a lot of tests initially during his diagnosis but i don't know what this is i will bring this up to his team

I also switched his rapid to fiasp last night and he came down instantly and ticked over nicely the first full nights sleep i have had

Thank you so much for this.. I spoke to his dr and they say they mainly do this to patients on pumps??

I can never understand why they do not tell all patients to do basal testing. It's just as important (if in a slightly different way) for those on MDI to do basal testing. I do hope your son has half-unit pens as well, basal being out by just half a unit can throw all his management. Anyway, here are the instructions on how to do it

Note that you shouldn't do all the times on the same day, do breakfast one day, lunch another etc. It's actually much much easier with a Libre, which I see you have. Good luck!

Attachments

Exactly how Patti says - basic corporate 'Time Management' training. Module 1 - How to eat a whole elephant. Instruction 1. First divide the elephant up into bite sized pieces. ..............

So that's what you do with the 24 hrs when you're basal testing!

Hi again @Lion2012 Sorry to hear about your son’s problems. That must be so frustrating and stressful for you all.

You say Another image attached nearly one hour after correction plus extra 0.5 on top..... Still 21....

When blood sugar is high, corrections take a while to work, ie you sometimes don’t start to see the blood sugar moving down until 2-3+ hrs. I find if I’m over approx 13, it can easily take 3hrs to see movement. Be wary of adding another correction else you risk him going low when all the insulin starts to work.

Did these problems start exactly when he began his new medication? If so, perhaps it is contributing. If he’s bolusing at his usual time in advance for school lunch and eating the same thing, but spiking bizarrely higher than usual, then something is clearly going on. Spikes like that remind me of insulin resistance. When I had that during pregnancy, I had to increase my pre-bolus time and also change my meal ratio significantly.

But, as said above, your first step would be to check his basal dose is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back