B12 vitamin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed last year at age 65 with type 1, bit of a shock but....I am now insulin dependent. I think I may need a B12 supplement as I am tired and a tad sore at times in shoulder and legs. Is it okay to take a B12 pill alongside insulin and Metformin? Thanks...

Hi and welcome.

I would ask your GP to test for B12 and then if your B12 levels are low, I would discuss whether you need the Metformin as it can inhibit the absorption of B12 so if that is the problem you would either need to stop the Metformin which may not be giving you any benefit anyway if you are Type 1 and not significantly overweight, or if the doctor feels the Metformin is helping with insulin resistance, then B12 injections would likely be the answer to circumvent any possible absorption issue caused by the Metformin.

Hi and welcome.

I would ask your GP to test for B12 and then if your B12 levels are low, I would discuss whether you need the Metformin as it can inhibit the absorption of B12 so if that is the problem you would either need to stop the Metformin which may not be giving you any benefit anyway if you are Type 1 and not significantly overweight, or if the doctor feels the Metformin is helping with insulin resistance, then B12 injections would likely be the answer to circumvent any possible absorption issue caused by the Metformin.
Thanks....

Welcome to the forum @Bomber

Let us know what happens if you get your B12 checked 🙂

You should not take any B12 supplements or B12 fortified foods for four months before a blood test for B12 and otherwise you can get a false reading. Taking metformin can interfere with the absorption of B12 so you might have to have injections for it. This usually starts with loading injections and then one every 12 weeks.

You should not take any B12 supplements or B12 fortified foods for four months before a blood test for B12 and otherwise you can get a false reading. Taking metformin can interfere with the absorption of B12 so you might have to have injections for it. This usually starts with loading injections and then one every 12 weeks.
That explains why I was asked in July was I taking B12 , as I had my bloods taken. Not asked before.

That explains why I was asked in July was I taking B12 , as I had my bloods taken. Not asked before.
Everytime I ask a question off anyone since having diabetes it seems to get more complicated....it's a weird condition to say the least. I am finding it difficult just to get by day by day eating...? Never mind vitamins and marmite...

It's an exceptionally complicated medical condition, @Bomber. That's because the human body is an exceptionally complex 'machine' - hence we each need to approach it the same way as we would if we were asked to eat an elephant (and in case you've never been tasked with coming up with how to do that - the first thing to do is divide the carcass up into bite sized pieces!)

DiabetesUK has done that already for all of us - so get yourself registered into the 'Learning Zone' and start plodding through the modules in there - at your own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back