B12 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile4loubie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What are b12's? there have been quite a few different illnesses or defiencys related to diabetes or only get noticed because of the diabetes and I just don't know what they are. As far as I'm aware I have never had my B12 tested..... I cant name others that have been mentioned at mo but there are others lol. It all gets so confusing......

Hiya, Vitamin B12 is required for lots of body functions, such as dna synthesis. You need a substance called intrinic factor which is made in the parietal cells to attach to the Vit B12 to make it work, basically the parietal cells can stop making intrinsic factor (this could be auto-immune or caused by some medications, metformin being one of them) and then the Vit B12 will stop working causing a condition called "pernicious anaemia". I don't know if T1 are more prone to pernicious aneamia as you already have an auto-immune disease. But T2 on metformin need to be monitored for Vit B12 deficiency as it can be a (rare) side-effect. Hope this helps. x

We did it a couple of weeks ago in uni so it was still relatively fresh on my mind LOL :D

I've been on iron pills for as long as I can remember and B12 shots for many years, having suffered from pernicious anaemia since birth. I've even had to have the odd transfusion here and there.

i was told last week that i have pernicious anaemia, at the same time as being told im dieabetic type 2. im now have to have an injection once a week for 4 weeks then one every 3 months for life. are the 2 connected?

i was told last week that i have pernicious anaemia, at the same time as being told im dieabetic type 2. im now have to have an injection once a week for 4 weeks then one every 3 months for life. are the 2 connected?

Not normally no. There is a link however, between developing LADA and having another autoimmune deficiency, such as pernicious anaemia. I was initially diagnosed as Type two six months ago but didn't do well on the meds, that and the PA led them to do more tests which resulted a change of diagnosis and new meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back