Aztec Syrup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen this or used it?

I realise it's an old article, but a friend just sent it to me and I was curious.

Dear Icey,

Did you intend to post a link to an article - I can't see it!

Regards Dodger

Sorry - did a fancy link but just re-read and you can't really see it.

Have added it to the bottom.

Sorry - did a fancy link but just re-read and you can't really see it.

Have added it to the bottom.

Yes, unfortunately they don;t show up very well - you have to make them really obvious!

I usually change the font colour on links and underline them to make them obvious. Fascinating article.

Has anyone seen this or used it?

I realise it's an old article, but a friend just sent it to me and I was curious.

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-406199/Aztecs-syrup-new-sugar-alternative.html)

Dear Icey,

No, I havn't had any experience. I wouldn't go anywhere near it because it's high in fructose. Fructose is an isomer (same chemical formula) of glucose but does not cause an insulin reponse. The only organ that can deal with it is the liver which turns it into fat (saturated!) - some gets loaded onto VLDLs and shipped out to your fat depots, some remains in your liver and can then contribute to fatty liver disease if high levels of fructose are consumed over extended periods.

Regards Dodger

I'll look out for it when I am shopping. As a general rule of thumb, unless I fancy something sweet and have a small treat, I try to avoid anything that looks super sweet. This may well fit the bill nicely, although being sweet toothed I'm going to have to exercise caution too.

If it tastes like honey might give some a try for my toast :D Dont have sugar in drinks anymore though. They say you can use it for baking.. how would that work? Im guessing you cant just substitute it for sugar in a recipe as I imagine that could go horribly wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back