Avoiding carbohydrates but eating fibre

Champlanet

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I have managed to get my hba1c level down to 46, which I am very pleased with however still
A long way to go & my daily blood sugar rate is still between 7 - 10.

So, I’m trying to avoid carbohydrates but eat more fibre, im doing as much research as I can & have come to the conclusion the carbohydrates in fibre ‘complex carbohydrates’ are good to eat & can be included as they generally don’t affect your blood glucose levels.

Low carb is to avoid refined carbohydrates?

Thoughts on the following recipe, given it is with courgettes, however less sweetcorn to be included

Any help would be appreciated

Fibre doesn't affect glucose levels as it's not digested.

That recipe is high in carbs. I personally wouldn't make it.

Try it and see what happens. Not all food is the same - I find a burger from Five Guys not a problem, but a bacon batch from Greggs... well, let's put it that way, I won't be doing that again. I mean, a quick walk brought it down again, but it went into levels I don't want to see again. (I'm guessing the five guys burger with two patties and a heap of vegetables was just digested differently. It seems the bread from a bacon batch leapt straight into my blood stream!)

Fibre doesn't affect glucose levels as it's not digested.

That recipe is high in carbs. I personally wouldn't make it.

Try it and see what happens. Not all food is the same - I find a burger from Five Guys not a problem, but a bacon batch from Greggs... well, let's put it that way, I won't be doing that again. I mean, a quick walk brought it down again, but it went into levels I don't want to see again. (I'm guessing the five guys burger with two patties and a heap of vegetables was just digested differently. It seems the bread from a bacon batch leapt straight into my blood stream!)

Well - you eat bread WITH your meal, not FOR it - so the trick is to eat meals which satisfy you so you don't need anything more to eat. Protein fills you up for far longer than carbohydrate, whether that be as bread, spuds or anything else.

Hi all,

I have managed to get my hba1c level down to 46, which I am very pleased with however still

So, I’m trying to avoid carbohydrates but eat more fibre, im doing as much research as I can & have come to the conclusion the carbohydrates in fibre ‘complex carbohydrates’ are good to eat & can be included as they generally don’t affect your blood glucose levels.

Thoughts on the following recipe, given it is with courgettes, however less sweetcorn to be included

I looked up the recipe and it's 88gm carbs, or 44gm carbs per serving. I personally would avoid it, although I used to love sweetcorn fritters!

So, the recipe has multiple types of fibre - surely not being refined carbohydrates shouldn’t raise your BG? Aside from including the obvious chilli sauce / with less sweetcorn

I’ve been avoiding all food & am finding things difficult

So, the recipe has multiple types of fibre - surely not being refined carbohydrates shouldn’t raise your BG? Aside from including the obvious chilli sauce / with less sweetcorn

All carbs will raise your BG, simple and complex. If you look at the nutritional information, fibre is listed separately from the carbs. Has your research included American websites, they include fiber (note spelling!), so subtract it to get what they call 'net carbs'. In the UK fibre is already subtracted.
Complex carbs are supposed to be better as they may (for some people, it is quite individual) raise your BG more slowly, but they are still carbs.

Hi all,

Low carb is anything up to 130g carbs a day. Yes, it’s good to avoid refined carbs generally, but low carb has the specific meaning I gave.

You say you’re avoiding all food, and that’s not good at all. My advice is to ignore all the extremes and find a diet that suits you as an individual and works for your blood sugar.

Are you vegetarian? There are vegetarian recipes on Diabetes U.K. Look to see what you fancy and check the carb info to see how it would fit into your day’s allowance:

Sorry but I find if it is carbohydrate, I digest it and it raises my blood glucose levels.
There can be confusion as in the USA the fibre is included as a carbohydrate, which can cause misunderstandings. If the product information has 'fiber' listed it can be disregarded in the carb count, in the UK (and other places) it is spelt fibre and not included in the total amount of carbs.

For some people with diabetes, eating complex carbs or Low GI works well, for others it doesn't. This is one of the reasons why we encourage people to use a BG meter to test their own body's response to different foods, because we are all different. It comes down to metabolism and gut biome and probably how well we chew food and what we eat with what. For instance fat will sometimes slow down the digestion of carbs, so some people see minimal rise in BG from ice cream but a banana could put their levels through the roof. Porridge is one of the quite contentious ones as doctors and nurses often recommend it for their diabetic patients but through testing, some of us find that it is like rocket fuel, even using the best jumbo oats and combining it with cream to try to slow it down, it still hits my blood stream in 20 mins and spikes my levels really high, so not a good choice for me, but other people see hardly any rise from it. I have a similar problems with beans and lentils and in fact my body seems able to extract more glucose from them than they are supposed to contain. I assume that my microbiome in my gut is able to digest some of the more complex carbs which are perhaps classed as fibre but are digestible by some of us. Other people cope well with beans and lentils and chick peas. Testing allows you to "see" how your body responds and tailor your diet to that response and your tastes and lifestyle.

Some members here who are trying to increase the amount of fibre in their diet find a sprinkle of psyllium husk helpful - and that seems to be pretty-much blood-glucose neutral.

Not sure if that might be helpful @Champlanet

Back