Avoding infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph-YK

Much missed Member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know I've mentioned infections, as have others. I don't actually remember advice on reducing the risk of getting an infection. Or minimizing the effects of getting one. Any recomendations?

My first suggestion is to keep your blood glucose levels as normal as possible. Infections are more likely when the glucose levels are high.

Then regularly check your feet for any cuts or blisters. This is especially true if you have reduced feeling in them.

If you mean coughs and colds, then hand washing plays a part in lessening chances of catching.

I also think that keeping away from small children is a vital component to steering clear of coughs, colds and flu. 😉

Actually, that has just reminded me.....

Ensure you get the annual flu jab. That has kept me clear of flu very successfully (even when my wife was running her childminding business!)

I agree with the flu injection. I work as a tutor so I'm always around children, but if I forget to get a flu jab any year, you can bet I'll get ill

I have found avoiding crowded places helps a lot, especially now I no longer commute.

Keeping away from children is good but not always possible if you are a parent or have a job where you come into contact with children very often

Thanks everyone. I was meaning infections in general, including coughs and colds. And celluitus in particular. Having a second bout last December is when I was diagnoses diabetic. Three weeks sat in hospital on IV antibiotics.

I don't think you can avoid infections completely but they can be reduced by regular hand washing, and where possible keeping away from crowds and people you know to have coughs and cold. Not sure what to suggest for the cellulitis, I have always had it after a knock or a fall.

I have friend who also got cellulitis after getting insect bites.

Tea tree oil diluted with water can be a good way to cleanse a small cut or graze to help prevent infection. Also, surprisingly, I have found honey to be a good healer! My friend had a nasty infection and he needed two operations to 'drain' it and it still returned. My pharmacist recommended he try a honey-based medicinal cream and it cleared it right up! Along with salt baths. It may not work for everyone but it really did wonders for him!

Honey is well known for its antiseptic properties and also acts as a mild sedative. I keep a small jar in and give a spoonful to little feller when he is finding it hard to sleep, especially when expecting a visit from Santa!.

Hi. About the only reason a diabetic would be more liable than a non-diabetic to get an infection is if the blood sugar is high. If you have well-controlled blood sugar then you only need to take the normal precautions anyone should take.

It's clear that uncontrolled glucose control can exacerbate the risk of infections in type 2's and that maintaining excellent control reduces infection risk but the reality is that many (not all) type 2's have co-morbidities which increase infection risk anyway. Conditions like high blood pressure, inflammatory conditions, obesity related issues, other auto-immune conditions for example all increase vulnerability to bacterial, viral and fungal infections.

I understand Type 1's are said to have higher infection risk because the auto immune nature of their condition impacts on the immune system generally even when it's reasonably well controlled. And that's no mean feat it seems!

I'm faced with a double whammy with type 2 diabetes and cancer of the immune system where infection is particularly hazardous to me. I have a bad cold at present and cannot automatically rely on my antibodies kicking in to deal with it. That's when infection feels really scary! 😱

I drink a fair bit Lemon juice. Sometimes in tea & sometimes in glass out of the bottle 😉

many (not all) type 2's have co-morbidities which increase infection risk anyway. Conditions like high blood pressure, ... increase vulnerability to bacterial, viral and fungal infections.

I've had high blood pressure since at least 2010 (well before I was diagnosed with diabetes). I've also had a fungal infection.

Lots of useful info here, what about UTI's? Does anybody have any useful tips?

Drink water regularly to avoid dehydration. It also helps clear any infection if it has already happened.

I had the unfortunate experience of a UTI a few months ago. It also sent my PSA (prostate specific antigen) soaring which gave me a few sleepless nights worrying about possible prostate cancer. But, fortunately, it was just the infection and I am back to normal levels now.

UTI's are the bane of my life, I get perhaps 7 a year! The last time it happened I was sent to hospital where I remained for four days. The doctors explained to me that the majority of UTI's are caused by faecal contamination (not a pleasant subject I know) and that after defecating the hands should be washed absolutely thoroughly, not just washed but scrubbed - and if you can get hold of an anti bacteriological soap that would help enormously. If you can acquire it get some of the liquid anti bacteriological cleanser that surgeons use on their hands and latex gloves prior to operating. I did all of these things and have not had a severe attack of UTI for three months.

Thanks for that, I never get any symptoms apart from a high blood sugar which has now made me really paranoid as I now think I have one whenever I have a high BS..... My Dr must hate me. I will definitely take note of your advice. Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back