Average Glucose

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiffcam13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone. Just been scanning libre data and wondered what average glucose levels fellow T1s aim for? Just curious .

I don't aim for an average on my Libre.
When I calculate my bolus dose, I have a target BG of 5.5. I know my average will be higher than this because, if I get my calculations correct, they will lower me to 5.5 when I have no bolus insulin on board.

I don't aim for an average on my Libre.
When I calculate my bolus dose, I have a target BG of 5.5. I know my average will be higher than this because, if I get my calculations correct, they will lower me to 5.5 when I have no bolus insulin on board.
Thanks for your reply @helli - this makes perfect sense!

Hi everyone. Just been scanning libre data and wondered what average glucose levels fellow T1s aim for? Just curious .
>= 70% 3.9-10
<= 4% under 3.9
<= 26% 10.1+

Are the targets my consultant set which are the standard ones

Yeah, I ignore the average glucose thing too. I just look at Time in Range, as I think it’s far more helpful. Just try to stay in range as much as you can, with the understanding that perfection is impossible and you’ll never do as good a job as a functioning pancreas.

It’s also important to realise that you have to live your life. So, accepting there’ll be times when you can’t mimic a pancreas perfectly, or you have to compromise in your advance bolus time or whatever, is very important.

Like Inka I concentrate on TIR and am more concerned about getting a good balance re BG control and living as normal a life as possible.
As for actual figures if I am very disciplined then can achieve very high TIR so 97-98% but I will often eat fairly high carb and not be so strict on the insulin doses so happy to average out about 93-95% which is still decent.
In terms of average BG which I don’t worry about is low 7s which is about half way between 3.9 and 10 so happy enough with that.
As I have only been diagnosed 8 months and fairly late in life, plus have a reasonable level of control then I am not too worried about potential complications.
However it is about how each individual decides what is best for themselves and how we want to live our life.
ATB

Yeah, I ignore the average glucose thing too.
I don't think I've ever looked at it. On a moment to moment basis, if I'm around 7 that's great (half way between 4 and 10). If I'm about to eat I'd like to be a bit lower, or falling. If I'm walking or something, a bit higher is fine, and if I'm a bit lower than I know to expect that I might need to have a snack, depending.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It’s such a balancing act. I think you’re all right though TIR is the more useful statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back