Avandia

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the UK it is better know by its generic name Rosiglitazone.

This was the one I was told was unsuitable because of heart problems. I know of a couple of other people how where taking it but have been taken off it.

The other frequently prescribed format is Avandamet which is a combo of Rosiglitazone and Metformin

Last edited:
Not just a risk to the heart, but also osteoporosis and increased risk of bone fractures:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2010/02/yes-actos-and-avandia-cause-huge.html

Now you mention it it does ring a bell. Around the time I broke my femur a young lady who worked my sister had a fall and sustain
med a compound fracture of the lower leg. The comment was made that it seemed a very serious fracture for what seemed a minor accident. My sister then made a connection with diabetes and decided it made you more prone to fractures. Whilst off work I researched this and did not find anything to support it. There was though mention of Avandia in a US article. It stated that a woman on this medication was seven times more likely to gat a hip fracture. Frightening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back