Avandia Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjeff27

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As type 2 drug Avandia has now been banned in the UK, how safe is Metformin? any forum members on Avandia?😱

I'm never sure how safe any of the medications we take are. Many people benefit greatly from things like penacilin and asprin, but some folks are very alergic to them. It is probably sensible to keep an eye on things and if uyou are worried seek medical advice.

As type 2 drug Avandia has now been banned in the UK, how safe is Metformin? any forum members on Avandia?😱

Metformin has been around for donkey's years as it was used for other conditions before they realised it could be helpful to diabetics, so I think there must be a wealth of data to show that it is safe to use 🙂

I'm a type one who due to his size has been put onto Metformin and it has helped me reduce my insulin amazingly. I was on 160 units of Human Mixtard before I was readmitted to Diabetic clinic and then 120 units of Apidra (60 units split between 3 doses 20 units at each) and Lantus(60units in one dose at night) plus 1 metformin with every meal. Now after weight loss etc I've cut it down to 30 units Lantus and about 45 units of apidra.

No problems.
Marc

I'm a type one who due to his size has been put onto Metformin and it has helped me reduce my insulin amazingly. I was on 160 units of Human Mixtard before I was readmitted to Diabetic clinic and then 120 units of Apidra (60 units split between 3 doses 20 units at each) and Lantus(60units in one dose at night) plus 1 metformin with every meal. Now after weight loss etc I've cut it down to 30 units Lantus and about 45 units of apidra.

No problems.
Marc

That's a great reduction Marc! 🙂

Avandia and other drugs with the same active ingredient have been withdraw from sale by the European drugs body while safety concerned are investigated. These drugs have already been withdrawn and put back on the market in the USA twice after investigations, so it is by no means certain that they have been permanently withdrawn. However if they can't be prescribed then there will be no one using them anyway.
They have NO connection with Metformin and Metformin is perfectly safe. There is absolutely no reason to worry about taking Metformin. The issue with Avandia is not proved either, so there is no reason to be especially concerned if you have been taking it either. It does seem to have increased the risk of heart disease in some people, but that doesn't mean everyone and it would have had to have a lot of testing before it went on the market. The withdraw is probably only a precaution, but its always wise to be cautious where drungs are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back