John Gray

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure where Useful Links get posted, but those people who take any of
  • Dulaglutide
  • Exenatide
  • Liraglutide
  • Semaglutide (injection or tablets)
will undoubtedly have experienced recent shortages.

They might be interested in the following articles:
Prescribing available GLP-1 receptor agonists, which links to
National Patient Safety Alert (03 Jan 2024)
and the 'actual' National Patient Safety Alert (two-page PDF) linked at its bottom.

The NHS England Department of Health & Social Care PDF requires that patients on Byetta or Victoza be switched to Rybelsus tablets "as soon as possible and no later than 28 March 2024" (even though the previous links suggest that Rybelsus is also in short supply).

I'm not sure where Useful Links get posted, but those people who take any of
  • Dulaglutide
  • Exenatide
  • Liraglutide
  • Semaglutide (injection or tablets)
will undoubtedly have experienced recent shortages.

They might be interested in the following articles:
Prescribing available GLP-1 receptor agonists, which links to
National Patient Safety Alert (03 Jan 2024)
and the 'actual' National Patient Safety Alert (two-page PDF) linked at its bottom.

The NHS England Department of Health & Social Care PDF requires that patients on Byetta or Victoza be switched to Rybelsus tablets "as soon as possible and no later than 28 March 2024" (even though the previous links suggest that Rybelsus is also in short supply).

Thanks for those links. I’m already affected and see the shortages are anticipated until the end of 2024.
I blame off label prescribing of some of these meds and feel annoyed when I hear non diabetic celebs proclaiming they've now lost more weight than they ever wanted on medications primarily intended for diabetes! 😡

Thanks @John Gray

I was waiting for the main website to be updated before posting the update I caught sight of earlier in the week.

I was rather surprised to hear that byetta was being withdrawn (it still feels pretty ‘new! to be honest!), and it’s very disappointing that the shortages are likely to continue all year. :(

I share your frustrations about the off label use that has fuelled and sustained this crisis @Amigo ! 😡

Yeah, I know ! I have never been on it, but one of my previous Diabetic Nurses gave me a leaflet about, as it might have been a future option for me. She retired many years ago, and I have had at least 3 others since then. My weight has been alot lower and fairly since then then too!

There's been an update today (8 Jan) to my first link Prescribing available GLP-1 receptor agonists, indicating that
"Rybelsus tablets are now available in sufficient quantities to support initiation of GLP-1 receptor agonist treatment in people with type 2 diabetes (T2DM)"

Presumably this also confirms that Rybelsus is available for those T2 people currently on Victoza or Byetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back