Availability of drugs for diabetes abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellyknees

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
🙂 In a couple of years time, my partner and I plan on selling up everything and buying a motorhome to go off round Europe indefinately or until such time that we have to head back to blighty.
I am a type 2 diabetic, currently taking metformin 500mg, Glimepride 4mg (Im hopeing to not be taking the Glimepride soon.) Candesartan and Simvador for high blood pressure and cholesterol.

Am I living in cloud cuckoo land thinking that I will be able to fullfil this life long ambition by still being able to get diabetes control tablets in Europe. Would I be allowed to get six or longer, months worth of the tablets from the uk and take them with me, or would I have to return to the UK every 3 to 6 months to be checked by the doctor?
Has anyone out there done this or something similar and what did you do? Has anyone got any advice or information on this subject.

Ive just read a forum about taking prescription drugs abroard and how you have to have a letter from you doctor explaining what they are and why I have to take them etc.
Come back soon as Im researching my medical health care needs for when we go.

You need to discuss this with your doctor as there may be a limit on the amount of drugs you can take with you. You might be able to get a prescription from a local doctor, but it could cost a fortune. Or your doctor may be willing to allow a family member to collect a repeat prescription and send it to you, though again there may be legal issues with this.

Thanks Alison and Northerner, Thanks for your replies.
Are you allowed to present what is essentially a UK prescription abroad then to get medication?
Thanks Northerner, I already have one but suspect that by the time we come to push off, it will need renewing, so thanks for the tip!
Keep em coming chaps!

I don't think so, but the letter you'll need for Customs that details your condition and medication should be enough to allow a local doctor to prescribe for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back