Autumn covid booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just been down for my covid booster and was asked what arm I would like it in. I opted for my left arm, but when the nurse saw my libre sensor she said I would have to have it in my right arm instead , anyone else had this, or did I just have an over cautious nurse ?
Martin

This year Covid & flu went in separate arms, sensor no problem

Last year had them both in same (non-sensor) arm, can't remember if nurse said there was any possible problems.
Same location both years.

I opted to have mine in the opposite arm to my sensor on each occasion as I had my Covid and Flu jabs a week apart. I think it is the nurse being practical. If you get a reaction to the vaccine it can cause inflammation which could affect the tissue surrounding the sensor filament if the inflammation is bad or the injection site is too near the sensor. That could potentially lead to less accurate readings (not that Libre is overly accurate anyway 🙄 ) but you can see how it makes sense to use the other arm if there is no problem with doing so or at least keep the jab as far from the sensor as possible, just to reduce the risk of any distortion of results.

The nurse had a good laugh when she saw me. I'd started a new sensor that morning but completely forgotten to take the old one off! Cue red face as I hastily whip a sensor off and into my handbag - where I found it 5 days later 😳

The nurse had a good laugh when she saw me. I'd started a new sensor that morning but completely forgotten to take the old one off! Cue red face as I hastily whip a sensor off and into my handbag - where I found it 5 days later 😳
Actually, I have a sneaky feeling I was on changeover day too but I was still using the old sensor whist the new one was bedding in, so I may have had the vaccine in the arm with the old sensor knowing that it was only going to be active for a few more hours before it died. I often forget to remove my old one for a day or two. When you can't see them or feel them, it is easily done and I swap my strap/arm band onto the new one when I apply it but the old one is still active.

I‘ve generally asked for the jabs to go into my non-sensor arm whenever I’ve had them, just in case.

Double-jabbed in my non-Dex arm yesterday.

Of course, it then means you’ve got one arm with a sensor and the other with a bit if soreness, which makes sleeping on your side a bit trickier, but my sensor didn’t grumble with ‘compression lows’ overnight so all good 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back