Autoimmune disease in the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi everyone,
When I was diagnosed with LADA a year ago I was asked on more than one occasion whether I had Diabetes in my family. I have a very distant cousin on my mums side diagnosed as a child with type 1. Apart from that I don’t know of any other family members with T1.
When I looked into this further I read it’s more about having autoimmune disease in general within the family that facilitates inheritance of the ‘autoimmune’ gene meaning it’s a (crappy!) lottery whether you may or may not manifest and with which autoimmune disease. Could be out of hundreds of conditions depending on environment or viral infection.
My mum has secondary progressive MS so I’m guessing this is where my inherited autoimmune gene comes from.
Can anyone here tell me about their experience with this?

Last edited:
I'm a 4th generation type1 all on my fathers side of the family. It seems to go male, female along the lines. There's other autoimmune issues though out the family. Most seem to have landed on me as a target :D

My daughter and I both have type 1, but I am adopted, so no idea apart from that. Very interesting though.

Reactions: Leo
I've taken this auto immune lark to new frontiers. Mom started it it with T1, my older brother with Ulcerative colitis when he was 17 (and no problem since). I've got T1, Ulcerative colitis, chronic pancreatitis, and Progressive Lateral Sclerosis (PLS). Nobody knows for whether PLS is genetically determined because it's too rare to get a handle on it.

So like @Pumper_Sue , I've copped the lot, but like her I've got the gene that only hands out conditions that aren't rapidly fatal:D

Similar story here with a small collection of auto-immune conditions on husband's side - son only one in family to have Type 1, my husband had graves thyroid disease and mother in law has pernicious anaemia.

No idea about mine except my parents didn't have anything or as far as we know, the grandparents. However my dad's ma died in approx 1927 when he was about 12, plus prior to that he had a little sister that died in childhood - so who knows?

My sister who'd emigrated to Oz in 1998, was frankly overweight had at some point become T2 and successfully treated it herself with D&E; she'd also had a cancerous breast lump removed just after that and it was going well until another lump appeared so she had radiotherapy and was absolutely banned from losing weight for a while - and in those days it took ages to administer the radiotherapy so it took a couple of months once a week, not a couple of weeks and every day for a couple of minutes like now. Neither of her kids - eldest was 50 this year - have as far as I know anything auto immune as yet.

Medical treatment as a whole has moved on in giant leaps since the turn of this century but 100 years ago when my paternal grandma and my auntie both died, there were no effective treatments for any sort of diabetes and I know my dad was told my grandma had died from heart trouble and so was his big sister. Dad did have some of the papers like his dad's birth certificate/death cert but that had a lot more to do with dad sorting paperwork out for grandad when the suggestion came about that he should re-marry in the 1950s. (And he did - so we had a paternal Auntie Lizzie instead of a grandma! LOL)

Just thought! - Dad's eldest sister's niece my cousin, was diagnosed T2 when she was approx 68. Mom was an only child, end of story. No contact with any of her own cousins.

Thankyou all so much for your replies. I didn’t expect to get so many! I have never asked my mum about autoimmune in the family and I’m reluctant to tell her about my diagnosis as she would just worry her head off and stress messes with MS majorly. It’s just that I recently found out my sisters youngest 17yr old is having an endoscopy next week for a GI condition that has got to the point that she cannot swallow food unless it is puréed. I’m wondering if it may be autoimmune ie oesophageal achalasia or Eosinophilic oesophagitis?

Last edited:
Mikey so right. My diabetes nurse told me that before exogenous insulin existed diabetes was treated with starvation! Sod that!!

Hi @Leo I was diagnosed with T1 at the age of 53. No history of it in the family at all apart from a second cousin once removed, which I discovered at a family picnic when the test kit came out.
Inevitably we soon got chatting about Libre/Pumps ....

No other autoimmune diseases in any other relatives, so no idea where it has come from.

I couldn't resist, i thought better leap in. Boing.
I had t1d since 1973.
Addison's since 2002( diagnosed, but 5 years of progressively worsening diab control up to then makes me suspect it came on earlier).Anyway back to the subject:

My dad has t1d, my dad's bros has t1d, a 2nd cousin of my dads had it, my dads sister is a coeliac. An nth cousin somewhere on my mums side also is t1d. Its interesting how attitudes change. Back in the 70s, both sides of the wider family denied their genetic association with t1d. Hopefully people are a bit more philosophical these days.

Interestingly talking of inheritence, i think the Ducky wider family must win Crown Ginger Biscuit of the century bcos

My brother is ginger
My other brother is auburn
I must have been the milkDucky's as i'm blond
My father's brother is ginger
3 of his children are ginger
My mothers sister is ginger
Her brother is ginger
Her other sister is auburn
Her mother was auburn.

That's 10 red/ reddish heads within 2 generations. Bullseye! Here's what i won. A 2 week caravanning holiday in Paignton. Give Ducky a round of applause ladies and gentlemen. Don't forget your prize money Ducky. At least it'll cover your bus fare home.

Will I be crowned Crown Ducky Ginger Biscuit? Super Ginger!!!! Weeeeee........ Oh, 'scuse me....

Hello there @Leo. 🙂 I’m like SB2015 - dx at 41 and no family history. My cousin’s daughter was dx (aged 8) 3 years after me, so she can say: “Yes, there’s a family history of T1”.😛

I couldn't resist, i thought better leap in. Boing.
I had t1d since 1973.
Addison's since 2002( diagnosed, but 5 years of progressively worsening diab control up to then makes me suspect it came on earlier).Anyway back to the subject:

My dad has t1d, my dad's bros has t1d, a 2nd cousin of my dads had it, my dads sister is a coeliac. An nth cousin somewhere on my mums side also is t1d. Its interesting how attitudes change. Back in the 70s, both sides of the wider family denied their genetic association with t1d. Hopefully people are a bit more philosophical these days.

Interestingly talking of inheritence, i think the Ducky wider family must win Crown Ginger Biscuit of the century bcos

My brother is ginger
My other brother is auburn
I must have been the milkDucky's as i'm blond
My father's brother is ginger
3 of his children are ginger
My mothers sister is ginger
Her brother is ginger
Her other sister is auburn
Her mother was auburn.

That's 10 red/ reddish heads within 2 generations. Bullseye! Here's what i won. A 2 week caravanning holiday in Paignton. Give Ducky a round of applause ladies and gentlemen. Don't forget your prize money Ducky. At least it'll cover your bus fare home.

Will I be crowned Crown Ducky Ginger Biscuit? Super Ginger!!!! Weeeeee........ Oh, 'scuse me....
Blimey. Red hair is carried on a gene that is autosomal recessive, so you need both parents with that recessive gene to produce a red haired child. It's much commoner in Celtic populations, the irish are the leaders with 10% of the population, Scotland comes second. Edinburgh is the capital of Red Hair in Scotland. So what is your inheritance - Paddy or Jock?

My elder sister was ginger headed - we had a golden cocker spaniel when we were little and my dad said when they were playing, he couldn't tell where she or the dog started or ended. (I always thought he was fibbing cos sis had straight hair and Kim the dog's was curly.

When she was born, nobody could fathom where the hair came from until dad's older cousin Ray saw her and exclaimed immediately 'Oh - she's got Auntie Vinnie's hair!' Lavinia was my paternal Grandma!

Rest of us were all dark, same as Dad's older sister and their dad and all mom's family.

Blimey. Red hair is carried on a gene that is autosomal recessive, so you need both parents with that recessive gene to produce a red haired child. It's much commoner in Celtic populations, the irish are the leaders with 10% of the population, Scotland comes second. Edinburgh is the capital of Red Hair in Scotland. So what is your inheritance - Paddy or Jock?
Mike i'm genetically a mick. Of the course the gingerism seems to run in vikings as well. I was never really sure if vikings were actually celtic or something else but there was a lot viking raiding in Ireland. Do you rember the film of same name with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis, well my mum's brother looks like an extra from the Viking village. He even has the beard which my brother reminded i yanked when younger as uncle viking was annoying me. I'd forgotten but my brother seemed quite fond of the memory. He was laughing anyhow. :-o. I always wondered why i never got into the diplomatic service...

Reactions: Leo
My elder sister was ginger headed - we had a golden cocker spaniel when we were little and my dad said when they were playing, he couldn't tell where she or the dog started or ended. (I always thought he was fibbing cos sis had straight hair and Kim the dog's was curly.

When she was born, nobody could fathom where the hair came from until dad's older cousin Ray saw her and exclaimed immediately 'Oh - she's got Auntie Vinnie's hair!' Lavinia was my paternal Grandma!

Rest of us were all dark, same as Dad's older sister and their dad and all mom's family.

Ha ha that made me laugh re what your Dad said Jenny. I just he worked out who was who by dinner time, otherwise your elder sister's life might have ended a bit woof :-/

My phns charging lead doesnt stay in making screen darken as the battery's low. Everytime i push it back, i get a screen covering notification which i have to close to finish the message. Its driving me crackers. I'm going to have send it off to get some discipline.
20 lines. I shall not undock my my power cable and offer unrequested notifications.
I shall not...

Fascinating! I was diagnosed at 42 with no diabetes in the family (but a fairly long list of other annoying illnesses throughout my life such as asthma, vertigo and a propensity to catch any bug/ virus that I come into contact with!).

The women in my family tend to live into their 90s. My Nan was one of 9 and Grandad was one of 11. She lived until she was 93, and most of her sisters lived into their 80s (one is still going strong in her late 90s!) but Grandad was a coal miner from the age of about 15 and suffered from all of the illnesses associated with that noble, yet grim profession and died when he was in his 60s. On the other side Grandmother lived into her late 80s and her Dad lived until he was 97 (fought in WWI when he was 32 - lying about his age - and was alive when I was born!) The only autoimmune disease that we are aware of in the family is an aunt with ulcerative colitis.

In terms of redheads, my wife has beautiful red hair, something her brother who has jet black hair has teased her about since they were little. The rest of her immediate family don't have her hair or pale skin. There is Scottish lineage on her fathers side, with the odd redhead 'popping out' in every other generation. I was hoping our daughter would have the same hair colour, she was born with bright red hair, but at 3 years old it is a dark blonde. Thankfully we have found that she can tolerate the sun (unlike my wife!)

To jump onto the ginger bandwagon... I too lean heavily into gingeosity. Mum ginger (MS), Her brother, sister & dad brunette, mums mum was ginger, my sister strawberry blond (Terrible hay fever, seborrheic dermatitis), My dad had black hair but his mum was a ginge. Mums a mick (Armagh) and dad a jock (Aberdeen). Double the alcohol gene too wayhey! Anyone here had a 23&me thing done and what were your surprising results? Mine said 92% British/Irish (it only tests mitochondrial DNA, mums side) & I metabolise coffee like really quickly!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back