Australian marathon runner Shawn Forrest diagnosed with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When Shawn Forrest finally walked into the hospital emergency room, he could barely see. He could not sleep because he was up all night going to the toilet. He had an insatiable thirst but no matter how much he drank, he wanted to drink more.

He was desperately tired and scared that the bug he thought he had was suddenly getting worse.

He thought this thing that had come on so quickly would go away just as fast. His eyesight was never great but it was getting rapidly worse. He put it down to his new contact lenses for a time, but then thought the optometrist couldn't have got it this wrong. He was looking through a fog.

Eventually he couldn't cope any more and got to the emergency room. His blood sugar count was off the charts and his body was shutting down. Doctors at the hospital in Greensboro, North Carolina, where the Australian marathon runner lives, gave him insulin immediately.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/athl...-diagnosed-with-diabetes-20141207-11zegg.html

A lot of this sounds very familiar 😱 Not the 'elite sportsman' bit, obviously! 🙂

Oh, don't be so modest!🙄

Cant remember 😱 Too young 😉 Hope he is ok now & on the right meds

Yep very familiar and I had a problem with my hamstring (no really) I thought it was related to my hypermobility and cycling rather than my prowess as an elite athlete (could have been an elite athlete if I'd been born in another body :D) but afterwards was told that it was possibly the autoimmune reaction causing inflammation. Rather embarrassingly the blisters I had were in my conk (northern expression for nose 😱), and I was accused of naughtiness so often I stopped asking the doctors about it. Nice to know we're in good company though 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back