August virtual meetup?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all is this virtual meet open to all or is it just for regulars i would be interested to listen in to see what subjects you discuss .yours Andrew.
You would be more than welcome to join us Andrew (and anyone else!)

I will schedule the meeting in the next few days, and send a PM to all who have expressed an interest.

I am hoping we can reuse the meeting details (and password etc) for future meets too to avoid having to DM everyone each time, but as @mikeyB says, it isn’t wise to publish details of the meeting ‘in the open’ lest spammers try to ‘zoom bomb’ the event :rolleyes:

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
how will i know when you are all on line.
What happened last time was that Mike (Admin) sent a private message to everyone who had expressed an interest, confirming the date and time, with a Zoom number and password and a link, (which took me straight to the meet without needing to input either of them)
That very much how it went with all the Zoom meetings I've attended. Though the details are sometimes posted a little more publicly. Sometimes with just the link as that works on it's own (as long as that's how it's set). I'm hosting my second one today, and that's the same.
It's all down to how the Host has set things up.

Time: Zoom's are schedualed, you are given a time, and you join around that time. Or some time later. You can join a Zoom meeting anytime, once it's started. Unless the Host locks it to stop late comers. I've only had that with Diabetes UK ChangeLabs meetings.
Of cuase, if you're fashionably late you risk missing the meet altogether!

Name: You'll get a chance to put a Display Name in, or change the one you used last time. I suggest something suitably safe. Possibly the one you use on the forum, or a variation that's easier to speak.

Course

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello

Just wondering if there was enthusiasm for another virtual forum Zoom meetup in August? Or whether folks were planning getaways, and people felt it was better to wait until September?

Sunday was the day or choice for the first one - is that still a good option? Or should we try Saturday or perhaps a weekday evening?

I am just aware that a few people missed out who were interested, so it might be nice to have another one?

What do folks think?
Missed the last one so well interested in August meeting.any time or day fine thanks

Kabbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello. Absolutely anytime at all would work for me. My daughter has just been diagnosed with type one diabetes so I am very keen to meet other people and find out as much as we can. Thank you.

MAC2020

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Sundays still seemed to be a popular choice, so I am suggesting a Zoom meeting on

Sunday 16th August 3.00 - 3.45pm
(maybe slightly longer if we can restart it)

Let me know if you’d like to receive an invite and the password.

I will try to set it up so that we can reuse the same address and password each time from now on. And we can play with Breakout Rooms this time too!

It’s open to anyone, Zoom/forum novices and stalwarts alike. It was an enjoyably chaotic hour last time, and great to be able to put moving 3D faces to familiar names and avatars :)

Do join us if you can.
Hi, Yes I'd like to join too as I missed the last one.

Also was the last one saved to Youtube or somewhere I can watch it, please?

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Yes I'd like to join too as I missed the last one.

Also was the last one saved to Youtube or somewhere I can watch it, please?
Ugh I hope not. And I'd be set to make a fuss if it was! Big breach if it was even recorded.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have sent a DM invitation round to to everyone who has expressed an interest in next Sunday’s virtual meetup.

If anyone else wants to join the happy throng, please let me know and I’ll share the Zoom meeting details :)

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Last one was fun!
Not that I recall anything in particular that was discussed but it was lovely to speak with folks we see post on here in real life :)

Ian Brown

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'll give it a go if I can master Zoom... never used it.

I've downloaded the app now. Is it easier on phone, tab or laptop?

Sundays are generally good for me too.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Mike

I think @Em04 expressed an interest but replied to the previous conversation about the July meeting. Could you add here to the list just in case she can make it.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

in the lap top you can see 25 people at one time (albeit small)
On an iPad you can see a max of 9 at any one time.
On both of these you can scroll through the pages.
I haven’t tried a phone

Look forward to ‘seeing’ you on Sunday.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
in the lap top you can see 25 people at one time (albeit small)
On an iPad you can see a max of 9 at any one time.
On both of these you can scroll through the pages.
I haven’t tried a phone

Look forward to ‘seeing’ you on Sunday.
Thanks @SB2015... well remembered!

You should have been given access to the DM message with the log-in details now @Em04. Let me know of you can’t see it :)

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

I've used it on both desktop (which should be the same as laptop) and tablet. It's as easy on both. There are some difference in controls between desktop (Linux Mint) and tablet (Android) versions though.

Both have gallery view (see several parpicipants at once). Android version shows 4 at once, PC more.
You can switch to the speaker view. In this, Zoom picks up who is speaking and shows you them full screen. (Or those who are coughing and laughing loudly!)
Both have mic and camera controls in the same place.

You can use both without an account. I've not tried an account on tablet, I've used that on the PC.

For me, a big difference is outside of Zoom. It's the quality of the webcam you're using. And how good the mic, computer audio is. I've always found PC audio poor when I've tried to use a mic with it. (This is to do with PC/OS, not Zoom.)

Last edited: