Attendance Allowance and Change in Circumstance

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As you know, I recently successfully claimed Attendance Allowance. Although I listed over a dozen conditions in the claim form, the letter informing me of the award stated particular reasons for why I got it. Since this is personal and sensitive info, I am not going to go into details, but I am sure older diabetics with OCD can guess the reasons. In particular, even though I made clear I had a referral for cataract surgery, the award was not time limited, nor tied in any way whatsoever to my cataracts.

Yesterday, I received notification that I have an appointment for cataract surgery on the 21st August. It's outpatient surgery and, if successful, will only offer a marginal, but none the less valuable, improvement to my eye-sight. More importantly, unless there are major complications [1 in a 1,000] it will not affect my underlying vision problems, which are: Glaucoma; Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy, and Presbyopia. Further, despite how bad my vision is, according to the notification letter, I was not awarded Attendance Allowance because of my poor eyesight.

Noting that it is out-patient surgery so [technically] I will not actually be going into hospital, I am wondering whether or not I need to report the surgery?

As to be expected, the guide lines as to what changes need to be reported are opaque
  • the level of help you need or your condition changes - you’ll need to provide details like if the amount of times you need help each day has changed
  • you go into hospital or a care home - you’ll need to provide the address, the dates you’ve been there for, and how your stay is paid for
  • a medical professional has said you might have 12 months or less to live
  • you leave the country for more than 4 weeks
  • you go into prison
  • you change your name, address or bank details
  • you want to stop receiving your benefit
  • your doctor’s details change
  • your immigration status changes, if you’re not a British citizen

As you may imagine, particularly in these cash strapped times, the thought of even temporarily losing the award while they reprocess my claim is causing me a great deal of distress. (Just the fact that I managed to tear myself away from my vine project long enough to look into this is a good indication of how much anxiety it is causing me.)

So, what is the opinion of the forum: Do I need to report it or not?

As always, your opinions are valued;
Irvine

Hi, Don’t worry, you don’t need to report it. Dwp/AA only need to be told if go into hospital or care home for over 4 weeks. Or if you were on low rate and needed care day and night.

I agree with Jade

Something else you would be entitled to is a blue badge if someone takes you out in their car or if you drive. Permit issued to persons rather cars as used to do.

Thanks for the tip.

I gave up driving several years ago because of blindingly bright headlights, I only recently found out this was an early indicator of Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy. When you add in my mini-stroke, glaucoma et al, there is no way I could legally drive. On the other hand, my support worker was telling me I should be eligble for a "taxi card' which would give me 25% off taxi fares. Not that I ever use them. :D

It is a useful tip though.

Noting that it is out-patient surgery so [technically] I will not actually be going into hospital, I am wondering whether or not I need to report the surgery?
No you don't need to tell them.
Also as you were not awarded points regarding your cataracts you don't need to tell them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back