Atrophy of the pancreas

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am starting chemotherapy for my breast cancer next week. Today I saw my CT scan report and was concerned to read that there appears to be an atrophied area in my pancreas and the duct is enlarged. I am wondering if this is why my BG levels have been up a bit lately? Has anyone else heard of this? Can't say I am looking forward to the chemotherapy which won't finish until the end of the year and then there will be the radiotherapy and an oestrogen suppressant, but I know that it has to be done. Tried to speak to the DN as I was supposed to be having an HbA1c test next week but she is away until next month. Maybe I have enough on my plate for the present 🙂

I have atrophy in the remaining third of my pancreas. This was detected during a CT scan about 5 years ago. The other two thirds were surgically removed in 2007. This means, to me anyways, that I don’t have any remaining insulin making cells. In all fairness being a Type 3c on insulin, it makes my life easier as I don’t now get any random spurts of insulin to confuse matters. In your case as a Type 2 it is possible that the same thing has happened, that part of your pancreas is unfortunately now dead. I would try and speak to someone about it if you can. Have your BGs been very high? Because of course the stress you’ve been under won’t help either. You must feel like you’re spinning many plates. Hope your treatment goes well. Take care.

I am starting chemotherapy for my breast cancer next week. Today I saw my CT scan report and was concerned to read that there appears to be an atrophied area in my pancreas and the duct is enlarged. I am wondering if this is why my BG levels have been up a bit lately? Has anyone else heard of this? Can't say I am looking forward to the chemotherapy which won't finish until the end of the year and then there will be the radiotherapy and an oestrogen suppressant, but I know that it has to be done. Tried to speak to the DN as I was supposed to be having an HbA1c test next week but she is away until next month. Maybe I have enough on my plate for the present 🙂
Sending you so much love and support for tomorrow. Xx

Atrophied pancreas here! Evidently I have the pancreas of a chronic alcoholic.

I have atrophy in the remaining third of my pancreas. This was detected during a CT scan about 5 years ago. The other two thirds were surgically removed in 2007. This means, to me anyways, that I don’t have any remaining insulin making cells. In all fairness being a Type 3c on insulin, it makes my life easier as I don’t now get any random spurts of insulin to confuse matters. In your case as a Type 2 it is possible that the same thing has happened, that part of your pancreas is unfortunately now dead. I would try and speak to someone about it if you can. Have your BGs been very high? Because of course the stress you’ve been under won’t help either. You must feel like you’re spinning many plates. Hope your treatment goes well. Take care.
Thank you for your reply. I have controlled my diabetes since September 2012 by diet and exercise. When I was in hospital for my breast surgery I was given a blood test which showed and increase in my BG level. The surgery are keen to put me on Metformin but I would like ideally to avoid but to at least postpone that for as long as possible. I have been keeping an eye on things and BG has been all over the place, once even into double figures! My guess is that stress is a feature. Much as I would like to ask a knowledgable professions some questions I don't think that is likely to happen at present. So I will just keep an eye on things. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Atrophied pancreas here! Evidently I have the pancreas of a chronic alcoholic.
Thank you for your reply. I will be watching things even more closely from now on. I do not and never have drunk alcohol because it upsets my stomach. (I am perfectly OK with people drinking alcohol it is not a moral based decision on my part, just experience of nausea after drinking.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back