Atorvastatin & Blood Glucose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick B

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I'm sure this topic has been covered here before, but this is news to me.

In recent threads I've been reading, forum members have alluded to increased risk factors for elevated blood glucose and insulin resistance associated with statins.

I did some research this morning and found this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3016087/

From the Article:​

"Conclusions​

Despite beneficial reductions in LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B, atorvastatin treatment resulted in significant increases in fasting insulin and glycated hemoglobin levels consistent with insulin resistance and increased ambient glycemia in hypercholesterolemic patients. (Effects of Atorvastatin on Adiponectin Levels and Insulin Sensitivity In Hypercholesterolemic Patients; NCT00745836)"

and

"Atorvastatin 10, 20, 40, and 80 mg significantly increased fasting plasma insulin (mean changes: 25%, 42%, 31%, and 45%, respectively) and glycated hemoglobin levels (2%, 5%, 5%, and 5%, respectively)..."

I have been taking a low level of prescribed Atorvastatin for many years now. My recent blood lipids were very good according to my doctor and we had a discussion about whether I should come off statins. My doctor recommended I continue with my current low dose of Atorvastatin, but he did say it was "my call". Having discovered the connection between increased risk factors for elevated blood glucose/ insulin resistance this morning, I'm am sorely tempted to tell him I've decided to come off them.

Has anyone else made this connection/ taken this step, and what was their doctor's reaction?

TIA.

I am T2 and have been on Atorvastatin 160mg for a number of years, it is crucial to my heart health to have this and I do not believe it has had any adverse effects on my diabetes health but that is just my personal opinion.

My wife is on 80 mg of Arorvastatin @SueEK, due to her lipid readings and family history. So, I'm not anti-statins per se. I rather clumsily shared my research with her when she got in tonight and that was a mistake. The statins in her case clearly outweigh the risks, as I'm sure is the case with yourself. Thanks for responding and best wishes.

I think whatever the medication and having diabetes as well it is a case of weighing up what is the best thing to do for your own personal circumstances, no offence was taken at all x

I was on Simvastatin no issues with blood sugars at this time.
One year later pre diabetic....next year top of pre diabetic range....nurse suggested I look into side effects of statins.
Spoke to doctor and came of statins for 6 months
Next blood tests right back to 30.
Cholesterol had risen a little but doctor agreed with me and I now take no medication

Thanks @pippen. Greatful for your input. I'm lucky in that I'm in the cohort that can consider dropping statins...at least, for now. As with all treatments, there's no clear path. But, I'm going to try having a break. My decision... Not suitable for others necessarily.

A relevant study just recently published: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2784799

And some commentary on it: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/statin-use-associated-with-type-2-diabetes-progression

Statins are associated with an increase in insulin resistance, a little bit.

Prof. Mansi said to MNT that while the association between statin use and diabetes progression was important, it was only one of several elements requiring consideration when prescribing statins.

[There are] three important precautions in reading our study: no patient should stop taking their statins based on our study, association does not prove causation, and no single study should dictate treatment policy but [rather] all the pieces of evidence together.

(By the way, note that when a study report says "significant" it means "statiscally significant", in the sense of a real effect not due to random noise - it doesn't necessarily mean "large".)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back