Ate, forgot to take my insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlaIsm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Newly diagonosed Type 1 Diabetes. Just over 2 weeks.
As title states I forgot to take my insulin jab before eating.

Is there anything I can do or look out for?

Getting worried as this is the first time this has happened and I don't remember the Diabetic Nurse say anything about what to do when / if I missed a dose. 😱

Hiya

As you are newly diagnosed you really need to speak to your DSN/consultant about this.

It depends on a whole heap of things like, what insulin are you on, are you on MDI or a pump even, how long after did you realise, do you know your correction factor etc etc.

There are lots of factors to think about and I would get in touch with your team tomorrow.

Ola, how long is it since you ate? You can take your insulin afterwards if you realise you forgot, but you will need to test frequently to make sure you don't drop too low later on. This is because you may have missed the peak of your food being digested when the insulin starts to work.

As Adrienne says though, you should really get advice from your team as they are better placed regarding your regime.

Whoops think I may have misread the message. I read it that two weeks ago you ate and forgot your insulin and you are asking in case it happens again. I think I now understand that you were diagnosed two weeks ago and it is now you need the advice not tomorrow. I'm so sorry.

Northerner is right.

I realised about 15mins after eating, but not sure what to do about it, that was about 2 hours ago.

Will speak to them tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the speedy reply.

I realised about 15mins after eating, but not sure what to do about it, that was about 2 hours ago.

Will speak to them tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the speedy reply.

did you take your insulin when you realised?

What insulin(s) are you on? Have you tested your blood since?

ask DSN about forgotten and correction doses; check insulin box leaflet

Hi OlaIsm, Hope you can speak with DSN this morning. Thye know what insulin you're taking, so can give better advice, specific to you. However, most medicaines have patient information leaflets, which usually include advice about what to do if you miss a dose - always worth trying that first, although if you're like me, the leaflet will be in the fridge, when I and insulin being used could be anywhere! You can test your blood glucose agin - before going to bed after a forgotten dose in the evening - but also need to know about correction doses, so be sure to ask your DSN about them as well as forgotten doses.

When I realised I forgot, was not sure what to do, I checked my BS twice before going to bed, it did not go up to much.

Will be speaking to the DSN this morning in case (hope not) it happens again.

😱

Don't worry we have all done it. If it was only 15 minutes I personally would have taken my novorapid dose, if it was longer then I would have probably just checked my blood sugar and taken a correction dose.

I suspect as you are newly diagnosed you didn't see too much of a rise in your blood sugar because you are producing some insulin and it was able to partly cope with your meal.

Hope your DSN will be able to give you some specific advice regarding your personal situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back