At the Crossroads, I Choose Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. My response to the news, very typical, was to begin a routine of vigorous exercise and dieting. With a beginner's enthusiasm, I lost almost 30 pounds (down from 220) and drove my A1c three months after my diagnosis down to 5.6%.

It's easy to be a golden boy at the start of a long slog. When I was a new track runner in high school, starting fast in a race was a cinch. Nervous energy and fresh legs assured that I'd be able to dart out to a quick lead in a distance event. But the real art of the race-which took me some time to learn-was knowing how to allot my energy so that I would still be in contention at its end.

Dealing with type 2 was much like my high school experience. Over the years, as my diabetes became a simple and unavoidable part of my life, my initial enthusiasm for dealing with it simply ran out. You can only keep up that level of intensity for so long before it exhausts you.

http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2013/05/06/7861/at-the-crossroads-i-choose-insulin/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back